GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 14:28:07 -0000
Momodou Folly Mbote, you wrote:

"On another note 'Kebba Joke Nying Jobe' deserves all the names he is being
called.  He is the greatest pretender and distortionist ever to have
surfaced on the L.

Kebba Jobe believes that Yahya Jammeh's 'sweet little projects' are more
important than the killing of our children, the imprisonment of Dumo et al,
the continuous harassment of Gambians by the NIA and Jammeh thugs, the
looting and the destitution of our people.  He is a sad charlatan and as i
told him when it comes to his nonsense, my madness and idioticism are
lurking on the corridors of L ready to pounce".

Your threats, rants and raves, I just take with a pinch of salt. I would
have thought the least you could have done is to welcome me back. But
instead you want to continue with your narrow mindedness and namecalling.

ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT

It is rather unfortunate that a lot of the write-ups on the above subject
has been vulgar exchanges between individuals just because some are
intolerant of others's views. I have on many occasions lamented this lack of
tolerance on the part of some to no avail.

Now as to what significance one should attach to vote buying with regards to
the recent Kiang East bye elections, I would say zilch.

UNREFUTABLE FACTS.

APRC candidate polled 1,784 votes.
UDPC candidate polled 991 votes.
Absentee votes 1,056 votes
Total registered voters 3,831.
Percentage turn-out 72.44% (Good turn-out if you ask me)

For the UDP to maintain their slim 35 vote majority they had in the 1997
elections, they would have needed 1,819 votes (almost double what they've
got). This means that 3,603 of the 3,831 registered voters had to vote. In
other words a percentage turn-out of 94.05%.

For the UDP candidate to have won by ONE SINGLE VOTE he would have had to
poll 1,785 votes. This would have required 3,569 out of the 3,831 registered
voters to actually vote. In other words a turn-out of 93.16%. Is that level
of turn-out to be reasonably expected in any elections, let alone
by-elections? You see, the only way the UDP could have won this by-elections
was for voter turn-out to be MORE THAN 93 %, a VERY UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION!

Now, do you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the impact that
vote buying may have had on the outcome of the by elections is VERY
INSIGNIFICANT. THE REQUIRED VOTER TURN OUT OF MORE THAN 93 % FOR THE UDP TO
HAVE WON BY A SINGLE VOTE IS JUST NOT REALISTIC!