GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:01:06 EST
I note both your points but I respectfully disagree. Here is why.I agree with
you the staff generally are new to broadcasting especially Television and
that would be reflected in the overall job performance as they evolve. But
the fairness doctrine in reporting is what lies at the heart of the  craft of
reporting and it is the duty of management to ensure that an effort is made
to have reporters and producers adhere to that. Secondly if we both agree
that the staff need to be trained to become better professionals , then that
validates my point that Tombong as MD needs to make training a priority. I
don't think it helps neither the staff nor the audience to extend what you
call a honeymoon period and essentially settle for mediocrity and
misinformation. The public airwaves by definition has to be representative of
a cross- section of the people and that means bringing in folks who have
different points of view. It would only enrich our experience as we strive to
build a better society. Exclusion and stiffling debate only undermines
democracy and in the long run would not augur well for country. I also
believe the fact that GRTS is directly under government auspices makes it
vulnerable to the kinds political manupulations that is now hobbling it since
it's inception. That is why I would propose and lobby the next gov't to have
Parliament charter it as a separate entity that would still recieve gov't
funding but would be entirely independent in both management and editorial
direction. It would be overseen by an outside board comprising of people in
the media, civic and business community spanning the cross section of the
population. The board would hire the Director and only it can fire him or
her. There would also be a companion piece of legislation that would give
media houses the right to access information. If we can successfully make our
society and open and free one, it would be a good start for better government
and a more informed population.
    Regarding my comments on Musa Susso, I think you misunderstood my general
point. I did say democracy is all about the people freely choosing whomever
they wish and that includes what me or anyoneelse may not prefer. What i was
saying was if our parliament in close to it's entirity has ceased to fulfill
their constitutionally mandated duty of safeguarding the interest the people,
then it says a lot about the kinds of people getting elected. an institution
is only as good as the people serving in it. If you think our parliament as
it currently is fine or even tolerable, we would agree to disagree. I happen
to believe we need to evolve a system that lets the best among us emerge and
serve in this crucial institutions. In the end it does not really matter what
party they come from, if they are talented and have sufficient drive, we are
all the better for it. Musa Susso and 90% of his colleagues just don't fit
that bill in my estimation. We can do better.
Karamba