GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:14:43 +0200
Mr. Hamjatta Kanteh,
thanks for your postings. I find your references very interesting.

I will make a short reply. Due to my poor english maybe my comment on the
reconciliation issue is misunderstood a bit.
I have no intention to suggest that this forgiveness and reconciliation is
the way forward now or later in the Gambia. My comment was a
reflection/reaction on a report from the parliaments debate on the Indemnity
act, published here on the gambia- list. According to the report a
parliament member should have said, that the act should be seen in the
light, that it could lead to or include a forgiveness and reconciliation
process.
I will let it be up to the people involved. My point is that all I had read
on the topic indicate to me, that it´s the offended part who hold the key to
the reconciliation-process, but there will always be a need that the
offender confess/admit and says so, and that they ask for forgiveness. Your
comment and references seems to support such an opinion.

Regards from Asbjørn Nordam