GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Pa Modou Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:32:54 -0000
Observer Bans Waa Juwara Stories

The Independent (Banjul)
June 15, 2001

Banjul, the Gambia

Posted to the web June 15, 2001
allAfrica.com

Reports reaching The Independent suggest that the management of the Daily
Observer has imposed a "decree" against publishing stories relating to Lamin
Waa Juwara of the United Democratic Party.

Reliable sources close to the daily paper intimated that earlier this week
the managing director of the company Buba Baldeh who is also the deputy
national mobiliser of the ruling ARPC allegedly confronted Editor-in-Chief,
Paschal Eze and his editorial team over stories connected with Waa Juwara
ordering them not to publish interviews or stories about Waa Juwara. Sources
who said the edict took effect from last week quoted Mr. Baldeh as saying
that the Observer Company would be closed down if any Juwara story were
published.

The edict was reportedly triggered by an Observer back page story where
Shyngle Nyassi challenged President Jammeh's nomination by the council of
elders from Western Division.

It is rumoured that Mr. Baldeh's alleged "decree" descended following a
confrontation he had with Baba Jobe who sources alleged had expressed
dissatisfaction over the frequent featuring of Waa Juwara on the Daily
Observer. He was quoted as telling Buba Baldeh; "we bought this paper to
promote the president and his activities and not to sabotage what he does".

He was said to have threatened Buba Baldeh with the sack if Waa Juwara is
seen on the paper again. Meanwhile efforts to contact both Buba Baldeh and
the editor-in-chief Paschal Eze were futile since they were said to be out
of the office. Mr. Eze was said to be ill with malaria while Mr. Baldeh
could not be reached.

However the deputy MD Andrew Dacosta was contacted he said the reports about
the anti-Juwara "decree" were news to him. "I'm not yet aware it," he
remarked.

When contacted the head of the Daily Observer political desk and a senior
staff reporter, Sheriff Bojang Jr. said "I was away for few days but when I
resumed work, I was told that Mr. Baldeh said no Juwara story should be
carried in the paper. I will be surprised if it is true because here is a
man who has been saying that he will never interfere with the editorial
policy of the paper".

Mr. Bojang pointed out that Mr. Juwara is one of the leading newsmakers in
the country and it would be unfair to stop carrying stories about him. "As
head of the political desk, I have to discuss this issue with the management
because if this order works we will become political stooges," he said. When
our reporter asked the Gambia Press Union President Demba Jawo about his
reaction to the story, he said it would be very unfortunate if such a thing
were to be true. "That would be a sad day for press freedom if the only
independent daily paper in this country were to be subjected to such blatant
political manipulation," he remarked.

It would be recalled that when Mr. Baldeh was appointed managing director of
the Daily Observer in 2000, he categorically promised that he would never
interfere with the editorial independence of the paper.

When he resigned as editor-in-chief, Sheriff Bojang, during his send-off
party highly recommended Paschal Eze as someone who would never compromise
his principles. "I have worked with him over the years and I am very much
optimistic that he will move the Observer from better to best," Sheriff was
quoted as saying.

"If the allegations of the "decree" are indeed true, then it would no doubt
rekindle the general view that the Daily Observer is now actually owned by
the APRC and it is not an independent paper," said a young man.