GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Isatou B Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:49:43 +0200
Hello Gambia-L,

Saul S.Jawara wrote:
>Dear Hamjatta, Ebrima and others:
>

>There is NO reason whatsoever for me to send you a private e mail with a
virus. >In fact  the same e mail was sent to me couple of weeks ago. No idea
where it >came from.

I genuinely believe that Saul did not try to send this virus on purpose. I
received an email from Saul Jawara containting an attachment with a virus,
after I sent a reply on Ylva's posting. Lucky for me, my anti viris prog.
caught it and neutralised it. The attachment is an .exe file. Once a person
runs the .exe file the virus is activated and the computer is infected.

Here is some info about this virus: It is a worm, call Magistr(it also has
some aliases) which spreads itself! It is very rarely sent on purpose and the
fact that several people has received the virus from him shows that he is
infected and has no control over where the virus is sent. This virus goes
through your documents, randomly creating mails, with a subject and excerpts
from various doc on your computer. This is sent to people in your address book
with the virus as an attachment. This is how it spreads! You can read more
about it in the link below.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/magistr.shtml

I am not surprise that Saul is receiving mail from people telling him that
they have been receiving some funny emails from him. It's the virus that's
been doing that.

Hope that not many are infected because this is a VERY dangerous virus. If not
removed on time, it permanently destroys all files on your computer, and any
network drive you may have access to, and possibly destroying the computer
BIOS making it useless. Permanently!!!

For those of you who want to check their computers, here's a link to a free
software package that can detect and remove this virus and others.

ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/free/

Isatou