GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:47:57 -0000
Gambia-L:

Find below the "cautionary statements" of Messrs. Lt Omar Darboe and
Abdoulie Sanyang. Again, do not pass any judgement unless and until we hear
directly from the accused persons themselves.

Ebrima Ceesay

CAUTIONARY STATEMENT

NAME OF PERSON: Lt. Omar M Darboe

ADDRESS: No 29 Mile Seven (7) Quarters

AGE: 28 yrs,    OCCUPATION:  Commissioned officer

CAUTIONED BY: D/insp Biram S Jobe of Serious Crime Squad

IN THE PRESENCE OF: Mr Sunkary Saidykhan of Tabokoto

Date: 11/7/2000

SUSPECT STATES AS FOLLOWS:

I am Omar M Darboe, a Gambian national by birth, from Kiang West, LRD. Upon
the completion of my educational career, in 1993, I eventually enlisted into
the Gambia National Army in January 1995. Following the completion of my
basic recruitment training in April 1995, I was posted to Fajara Barracks
during which time I wrote to the Cadet Selection Board (CSB) and later
became a cadet officer. And while as a cadet, I was sent to Ghana for my
Young Officer Course from where I returned in December 1996.

Upon my return, I was commissioned as an officer. I was posted to Farafenni
Barracks from December 1996 to April 1998 when I was redeployed to 2nd
Infantry Battalion, Farafenni, where I was from April 1998 to March 2000.
While in the 2nd Battalion, I went through Kudang and Basse Camps
respectively. In March 2000, I was further redeployed to State Guards as a
platoon Commander. While serving in State Guards briefly, as a platoon
Commander, I  was given the role of a Second in Command (2IC),  following
the departure of Lt Kawsu Sanyang for an overseas course, a position I held
up until my arrest on the early hours of Friday the 23rd June, 2000 within
the State House premises by State Guards personnels stationed at Kanilai.

As a Second in Command (2IC), I am responsible for the welfare of the
troops, i.e. feeding and routine general within the Battalion and also
receive my daily instructions from the Commander State Guards Captain. O.
Sonko.

During my interrogation at the NIA Headquarters on Tuesday 27th June 2000,
the interrogator Mr S. Jammeh put it to me that I was accused of being a
conspirator, in that as a Second in Command (2IC), I was to facilitate the
entry of Commissioner Kanteh and collegues into State House, an accusation I
denied.

Furthermore, I have no knowledge of, and did not attend any said meeting
which was held on the 4th of June 2000 at the residence of Commissioner
Kanteh at Bundung Borehole. At this point of my interrogation, a gentleman
was led into the room during which I was being questioned by Mr S Jammeh. I
was asked whether I ever knew or met him. And in reply, I responded in the
negative. Mr Jammeh later introduced him as Ebrima Barrow. He, Ebrima
Barrow, was later asked as to whether he identified any of those in the room
at the time of the interrogation being present at a meeting held at
Commissioner Kanteh’s residence. He, Ebrima Barrow, responded that none of
us, including myself, was ever present at the said meeting.

Moreover, during my interrogation it was put to me as to whether I know of
any Fransisco Caso, an Italian national, to which I responded that I was
introduced to one Fransisco, a whiteman, at the Statehouse grounds by Lt
Musa Jammeh (PPO to the President) during Kofi Annan’s visit and he Lt
Jammeh informed me that this whiteman whom I later came to know as
Fransisco, was going to be part of the convoy to Kairaba Hotel; and upon my
return from the mission, I was informed by my Commander, Capt. O. Sonko,
that he, Fransisco, was here to train our personnels on VIP protection.

I continued to see him within statehouse for a while until when he left with
our personnel for a month long training course held in Kanilai. To the issue
of one Saul Ndow, a prominent businessman, alleged to be resident at
Pipeline, as to whether I ever held any close door meeting with him, I
responded that this was the first time I was hearing the name of such a
person and therefore, I have never met any person of bearing such a name
before. I made this statement in the presence of Mr Sunkary Saidykhan and
later read it to both Saidykhan and Insp. Jobe who later signed below.

Statement recorded and signed by Omar M. Darboe, LT

Signed by D/Insp B.. Jobe 11/7/2000 and Mr Sunkary Saidykhan (independent
witness)

CAUTIONARY STATEMENT OF ABDOULIE SANYANG

NAME OF PERSON: Abdoulie Sanyang

ADDRESS: Biko Drive, Serrekunda

AGE: 33 yrs OCCUPATION:  Intelligence officer

CAUTIONED BY: D/insp Biram S Jobe of Serious Crime Squad

On Monday 31st July 2000, I left NIA office together with Sukuta Cham, Biram
Jobe, Famara Jassey and Siaka Drammeh to my house to pick the record (the
piece of paper) I wrote after the meeting; that is the date of the meeting,
place of the meeting, the amount of people present at the meeting and their
next schedule of the next meeting. My passport was also taken, that’s all
they collected from my house. On  2nd August 2000, while I was in NIA
office, I identified a man whom I later knew as Kassim Keita.

He once picked me at Kairaba Avenue while I was going home and he dropped me
on the Brikama High Way. And the second time I met him was while I was going
home from Alagie Kanteh’s house and he dropped me on the Bundung high way
near Betee Yasin and he then went away with the rest of the two boys I
initially found with him in the vehicle when picking me on the road. I in
fact gave him my mobile number because he told me that he wanted to apply
for a US visa at my workplace, at the American Embassy.

A SECOND CAUTIONARY STATEMENT FROM ABDOULIE SANYANG

NAME OF PERSON: Abdoulie Sanyang

ADDRESS: Biko Drive, Serrekunda

AGE: 30 yrs, OCCUPATION:  Intelligence officer

CAUTIONED BY: D/insp Biram S Jobe of Serious Crime Squad

IN THE PRESENCE OF: Momodou Lamin Jallow of Jamjaburey, CRD

SUBJECT STATES AS FOLLOWS:

I, Abdoulie Sanyang of Biko Drive, Serekunda, am a Gambian born at Banjul
Old Primet. I attended Serekunda Primary School from 1977-1984/5 and then to
Nasir Ahmadiyya Muslim High School, Basse, from 1985-1990. After completing
my schooling, I then joined the Gambia National Army from 1991-1997. In
1991/92, I was first posted to 1st Battalion for three months and then
appointed to signal course within 1991-1992. Later, I was selected for a
administrative course for a period of 7 months, then posted to AHQ Banjul as
a clerk typist in 1992. From 1992 to 1994, I was posted to State House as
Guard under the escort team, up to 1994-1995.

Then I was selected to go to the Military Police from 1995 to 1997 from
where I ended my  service. From then I picked up a job with Kololi Beach
Hotel for 3 months, as a security officer and then to Gamworks for 9 months
as project supervisor. I then joined SOS as a driver to the Director for 7
months. From there, I picked a job with the American Embassy as an
Intelligence officer/clerk/typist up to date.

On the 20th July 2000, I was picked up by the N.I.A when I was in class at a
first aid training. On my arrival at the NIA, I was informed that I knew
something about Alagie Kanteh, the then commissioner, in connection with a
coup plan. I knew Alagie Kanteh at Army Head Quarters when he was a Staff
Officer, while I was a clerk typist within the same administration.

I can also remember Sulayman Sanno who was a driver at Yundum camp, while I
was also in the Army. So, one day in the month of June 2000, I met with
Sulayman Sanno at West field, while I was going home and he told me that he
was from G.T.T.I. for classes. During the greetings, he asked me if I knew
Alagie Kanteh, Captain. I then asked him which Kanteh, the one at the Yundum
camp, and he replied NO. He told me that capt. Kanteh, the commissioner. I
told him yes. And then he started telling me that he, Kanteh,  was planning
something, and I asked him what was it.

He told me that he, Kanteh, was planning a coup plot, and I asked him a plot
and he told me "yes". He, Sanno, said that he will be going there, to see
Kanteh during the weekend. He then asked: Will you try to be there? In
response, I replied that when I am free, whether on Saturday or Sunday, I
intended to go. But before the weekend, on Friday, I left with my Ambassador
to a village behind Dankunku Village C.R.D., and came back on Saturday
evening. On Sunday morning on the 18th June I then decided to make a follow
up about what the said Sulayman Sanno told me, about Alagie Kanteh.

Then I tried to find out where Alagie Kanteh’s house was situated and I
later knew where he was. I went there and on arrival I found Alagie Kanteh
sitting under the mango tree with some one. Then I greeted them and asked to
sit down, and there was another man sitting with an old woman. Having sat
for some time, he, Kanteh, said that we should now transfer to the new
building because there was better shade there. He went with the boy he was
with and asked me to join them. If not, he said that  I will be left lonely.

I then joined them. Later the boy, with the old woman, joined us. After some
time, he, Alagie, left and came back with one white man and a middle age
African origin. I then got up and gave my chair to them to sit down after
which he, Alagie, asked me to go for a chat which I did.

Alagie then asked me to excuse them but when I got up, he asked me to stay.
Then the whiteman came and sat for some time; he, the whiteman, asked
Alagie: how are we going with the plan? Alagie, at this point, was asking
questions to the boys as to whether they were soldiers and they replied that
they were retired. He also asked them whether they can fire and they replied
yes. He also asked me in person whether I was a soldier. I replied that I
was retired and he then asked me whether I can fire, to which I replied yes.

During the questioning, my mobile rang. I then got up and went out and
answered the call, after which I came back. While sitting down my radio also
cracked and the white man asked me where I was working at and I told him
where I was working at, at the American Embassy. Shortly after that,
Sulayman Sanno came in and greeted and shoke hands with me. And he told me,
oh! You are here. I replied yes. Sulayman Sanno continued to greet the rest
of the people. Alagie Kanteh then asked the said Sulayman Sanno to sit down.

While sitting down, I also heard that there would be next meeting on July
5th or so. The white man finally said that that would be the time when he
will tell each person, what his task would be. After that I told Alagie
Kanteh that I wanted to go. I had some thing to do. He replied OK and then
said that he would try and see me off. So on my way, Alagie’s driver picked
me up with the GG vehicle and dropped me on the way and he, the driver, went
away with the others. I can identify the driver if seen.

When I returned home, I made some notes about the date of the next meeting
and the number of people present. So I knew about this issue as an
investigator working with American Embassy. I briefed my RSO (James Moss)
about this information but it was premature because he said that there was
to be the next meeting. After that, in the evening, the US Ambasador George
Haley left to see the H.E. the President, with James Moss and Ben Wils.

I cannot remember the date but some time in June. After they returned, Mr
James informed me that they had gone to the president and the president
confirmed to them that there was one Wanken-Hunt security personnel at the
US  embassy who was present at the meeting. Today 31st July 2000, while in
the N.I.A. office, the man whom I called the middle aged man of African
origin came with the GNA officer inside the office. I then identified him as
the man who came with the white man, in Alagie’s house, where I was sitting
with two others, one of whom I later came to know as Ebrima Barrow. He,
Barrow, was present at the said meet.

This statement was recorded by myself voluntarily without force in the
present of Momodou Lamin Jallow of Jangjanburey, CRD.

Statement recorded and signed by Abdoulie Sanyang

And Independent witness 31/7/2000