GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 23:56:34 -0700
Mr Jaw,
        before we proceed on the alledged voting fraud
in the Kiang by-elections,let's have a look at the
Elections decree 1996 Decree No.78.This decree is the
law governing the registration of voters and the
conduct of elections in The gambia which have been
contained in the Elections Act.

SECTION   Arrangement of sections
--------------------------------
part I-    Preliminary
Part II-   Administration
part III-  Registration of voters
PartIV-    Nomination of candidates
Part V-    conduct of elections
Part VI-   Election Campaign
Part VII-  Election and conduct of political parties
Part IX-   Offences and penalties
Part X-    General

Now let's examine what is prohibited on
polling/elections day.
Section 70 of this decree states that on any day which
polling is to take place in an election division the
following shall be prohibited in that area:

[a] the holding of public meeting,procession or
demonstration;

[b]the makink of any speech or announcement in a
public place;

[c]the use of any loudspeaker,loud hailer or other
intrument of public address;

[d]drumming or singing in a public place;

[d]the display in any public place of a flag,banner or
slogan;

[f]canvassing;

[g]the ringing of a bell or the making of any sound
resembling that of a bell within the radius of five
hundred metres of a polling

[h]the riding or parking of a bicycle within the
radius of five hundred metres of a polling station;

[i]the selling or distribution of alcoholic drings;

[j]arriving at a polling station in a state of
insbbriation;

[k]forming groups aroud polling stations,except joing
a queue to cast a ballot;

[l]entering a polling station armed;and

[m]carring out any other activity tending to block or
disturb the normal voting process.

Bro Yus,before you rejoined the list,i did mentioned
it on one of my postings that the party's legal team
has already identified enough evidence to put up an
election petition against the King's result.But as the
matter is still under legal consideration,i do not
want to prejudice the case or reveal any of the
evidences in hand.I can tell you that people came from
Kiang to give tangible evidence that they were offered
money but now regreted.The names of the offerers,the
amounts, and the places are well decomented.More over
there were displayment of APRC flags,banners, slogans
and canvassing in some of the polling stations.
 saihou