GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:47:15 -0400
Culled from The Point

IL Mondo Owner Cries Foul, Accuses SoS Touray Of Highhandedness

The proprietor of IL Mondo Bar and Restaurant which is situated at Fajara,
Mr. Sowe, has accused the Secretary of State for Tourism, Yankuba Touray, of
using his powers to re-allocate his place to one Lang Conteh of the Central
Bank.

In an interview, Mr. Sowe recounted that he was given the IL Mondo land by
the Tourism Ministry in 1986. “I had invested all the capital I got from
Europe constructing the structure. I also connected IL Mondo to the sewage
and main water system and even built a sea-wall to save it from erosion. I
planted 30 coconut trees and the overall expenses cost me over a million
dalasis,” he lamented.

Sowe said that he had rented IL Mondo to an Englishman called Brian Paul
from 1989 to April 2001, when the Secretary of State for Tourism, Touray,
wrote to Brian to leave. “On April 15, 2001, I saw an advert on Daily
Observer that anybody interested in running a Beach Bar called IL Mondo can
contact the Tourism Department,” he said, adding that “I was shocked and had
to contact the Permanent Secretary, Bai Ousman Secka, since I was not
informed about it.

My Lawyer also wrote to the Department informing them that the place belongs
to me.” Mr. Sowe told The Point that he had confronted Secretary Touray on
the issue, who replied him that “IL Mondo is gone. I, myself, have a
personal interest in IL Mondo. I will not give it to you. If you want land
on the beach you can tell me. I am going to give it to my friend called Lang
Conteh of the Central Bank.” “I then wrote a letter of appeal to the
Secretary of State for Tourism (which he had shown to this reporter) but was
yet to be replied to,” Mr Sowe narrated, describing how the Secy had gone
ahead to close down the place and few days later, “the said Lang Kanteh, who
asked my guards out, demolished the structures and began putting his.

. Mr. Sowe, who looked perplexed, described the act as nasty, unfair and a
manifestation of corruption of the highest standard. “IL Mondo was paying
taxes and violated no laws. It is painful for someone to snatch everything
that I have struggled to get. I am sure his Department officials are not
aware of this highhandedness. It is Yankuba’s personal decision. But I am
appealing to the government and patriotic Gambians including Human Rights
activists to join me for the reversal of this criminal act. “I must follow
the case up with the last breathe of my life,” he quipped. Frantic efforts
were done by this reporter to get the version of Yankuba Touray or his
permanent Secretary but to no avail. He was told after four attempts that
the Tourism Secretary was out while his PS was attending meetings.