GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:23:41 EDT
Abdou & Hamjatta:

Thanks for your comments.

Jabou, Jawara's regime was not that bad; especially in the human rights
sector.  Given, as in many other African countries there was corruption
during the PP's reign, but nothing compared to the looting of our coffers
which is going on now.  This coupled with the blatant and horrific human
rights situation there should really put things in perspective vis a vis the
situation we had there during 30 years of the Jawara regime.

This anti-Jawara/PPP rubbish which is being propagated by insidious so-called
members of the struggle is responsible for this temporary loss of direction
by factions of the struggle on the L. These detractors should be warned that
their anti-Jawara and PPP rhetoric will be met with more resistance from this
point on.  But, in the meantime, lets keep things in perspective;

1. it is not too late for a complete Alliance

2. this anti-PPP propaganda being propagated by some of us is nothing but
absolute rubbish. At least, nothing compared to the ridiculous situation we
have there now.  Jawara is/was a good man.

3. if the complete Alliance does not work, then we shall proceed with the
best prospects we have now: the one between the PPP and the UDP

4. hopefully, the Opposition forces will garner enough votes to force a
second round and then a more complete Alliance, per PDOIS' proposal, could
possibly materialize.

Ladies and Gents, let cool heads prevail and let us not be critical of any
party which is part of the opposition.  It does not matter if it is the PPP,
NCP, or the 'Party of Animists" for that matter as long as they contribute
towards removing the clear and present evil which Gambian face.