GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:50:38 +0100
Hamjatta,

I can't agree with you more on all the issues raised about ensuring  that
the will of the people prevail from the Presidential election and defending
this supreme verdict from being violated at all costs.
Towards this objective, i would reiterate on the inevitable need for
all-round 'perfect vigilance' by opposition party agents at all polling
stations throughout the voting day to prevent any planned election
malpractices or fraud from APRC operatives either intending to perpetratrate
such crimes on their own or in conjunction with IEC officials. The UDP-led
alliance in particular must through their polling agents satisfy themselves
ensure that APRC ballot boxes are completely empty of any 'stuffings' prior
to the commencement of voting at all polling stations. This reuirement will
deter pre-vote rigging by the APRC which is confirmed to have been
ochestrated in some constituencies of the CRD during the last presidential
election.  As i gathered from a well-placed reliable source post the
previous Presidential election, the most significant aspect of vote- rigging
that occured in that instance was during the transportation of the
supposedly sealed ballots by the security forces to the various counting
centers at night time. In the CRD, upon the orders of the notorious
ex-AFPRC/APRC Commissioner; Major Bojang only handpicked security forces
were allowed to exclusively escort ballot boxes to the counting centers.
Some UDP party agents who rightly suspected plans of ballot tampering
insisted upon accompanying the security forces, but were either prevented
from doing so or even worst detained. The details of all such foul exercises
are vividly catalogued as confirmed violations against the popular will.
Unfortunately for us, some of our so-called security forces as we all know,
are nothing short of Jammeh's personal zombies of death, tyranny and
persecution but someday soon they will all be brought to order and account,I
fervently hope. In essence, the security forces must not  on any account be
allowed to exclusively escort casted votes as that is a highly vulnerable
point for vote switching and tampering. The UDP leadership must insist on
this with the so-called IEC that the unfair practice will be unacceptable.
The expulsion of the British Deputy High Commissioner by the maniac APRC
regime was  partly intended to offset diplomatic relations with Britain in
order to undermine a fair electoral process in the Gambia.
I am saying so because Mr Joshi was very concerned to ensure that the vote
rigging that occured the last time was not allowed to happen again. In which
respect, he was the key advocate among diplomats for international support
to the Gambia's electoral apparatus and process. I only hope that the
international community will continue its support in this regard esp, with
election observers to the key constituencies.

The ultimate course open to us, if all the safeguards notwithstanding, fraud
is committed will be to chase the dictator and his hencmen away with all
available means and be assured that the masses are prepared to do just that.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!

BMK