GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:12:06 +0000
Dear Malick,
Thanks for your piece as it contains some very interesting insights.
I read your argumentation with keen interest although I am busy with the
breakdown of our printing machine.
I am myself an admirer of Nkrumah and I spent hours in the museum that Ghana
devotes to him.
As you would recall Rawlings, at one time, tried to lay hands on his legacy
but as we all know the attempt fell short of improving the lot of Ghanaians
as it was confined to celebrating his anti-colonial stance. In terms of
economic advancement, Ghana is still despite its riches grappling with
serious economic imbalances.
Mathieu Kerekou of Benin also tried to assimilate Sekou Toure's legacy but
was later chased out of power by a popular uprising despite the fact that he
was a military dictator.
At this juncture I would like to make some comparison between India and
Pakistan and the African countries once headed by those "honorary
Europeans". We all know that Indians and Pakistanis excelled in the world's
highest institutions of learning.
Many of them secured the same status as the "honorary Europeans".
Now, what is different in the socio-ecoonomic and political itinerary of
India and Pakistan on the one hand and countries like Kenya, Cote d'Ivoire,
Senegal on the other hand?
Are they not sharing albeit some disparity the same itinerary?
One has to take into account that the disparity I alluded to stems from the
large markets in India and Pakistan. But it could be argued that had they
the same size and population there would not have been much difference in
many respects between them today.
WE are talking about some 300 years of colonisation whose end was brought
about by the realisation by Africans and some enlightened Europeans and
Americans that in as much as it was inconceivable for Europeans and
Americans to accept Nazi Germany's domination, Africans were entitled to
their self-determination.
That process took some 20 years as the wind of Independence came about in
the 60s.
Now, you seem to lay emphasis on the "divorce option" with former colonial
countries-consumers of our raw materials. A Federal Africa was not feasible
then to accommodate such an option as the new states were grappling with a
new reality: building a nation, selling the idea of national unity (taking
into account tribal and regional realities) and laying the foundation of a
state by putting in place local and national structures.
A Federal Africa would have been ideal to form a bloc to fight neo-colonial
tendencies such as what Senghor himself called la "détérioration des termes
de l'échange"(the deterioration of the terms of trade between Africa and her
former colonial masters.)
Senghor made reference to this anomaly all along his tenure.
With regard to the above my question is, was Nkrumah ahead of his time?
This is of course another dimension altogether but it needs to be analyse by
more enlightened people than my humble self.
Thank you for time
Deyda