GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:39:55 +0100
Mr Kurubally,
Your point is well noted and since it is your right to have your opinion, I
believe I should not be denied the same right. You claimed that the election
results are enough for your support to the government and could not understand
why some of us could not do the same. My opinion is that since more that half
of the electorate did not go to the poles is a sign of national crisis. If the
APRC could not satisfy the basics of bourgeoisie democracy, I wonder how they
can be radical enough to solve the national issue. I am of the opinion that
when Gambians go to the poles in most cases, it is not to speak their minds
but to entertain. The day they decide to speak their minds through the ballet
box, you and I will be a witness to another Senegal or Ghana, if that is not
the case how can we say things were much more better in the Gambia than in
Senegal, when Gambian farmers take the risk of smuggling their nuts to Senegal
because they cannot sell it in the Gambia.
My opposition to the APRC government and party is a question of principles and
in my opinion, no one is more patriotic than I am in defending the right of
the students to demonstrate without fear of been brutally murder and or the
immediate an unconditional release of people like Dumo Saho etc. It is also my
opinion that any Gambian who refused to stand up and speak against such
barbarism is a political opportunist. If I am always been reminded that the
government is building hospitals and that this is a sign of progress, when I
know that there are hardly drugs or bandage in our hospital, then I do have
the right to say that white elephant projects do only serve political slogans
and not the health of the people or for the advancement of the country. We
know it took a donation contribution to buy an incubator for the RVH, how much
tax money is been used to build fortress Kaninlia? how many incubators, X-ray
machines etc we would have been able to buy from the monthly expenses to
protect and preserve fortress Kaninlia.Do you mean to say that the article by
the Independent forwarded by my self to GL on the health condition at Bakoteh
is just for propaganda reason or been unpatriotic? Such health disaster is a
daily pain for those leaving in that area and the country in general, long
away from the peaceful and comfortable Europe and America
You see,if the government is not capable of   building  a grounded primary
health care service,it will never be able to provide enough and cheap
medicines for her citizens,you dont need an expert in healthcare to tell you
this.You cannot be polluting the environment of tax payers, or have clinics
without running water or hot water,have a mental home with unbearable
condition and thanks to the individual efforts of tax payers, dirty hospitals
etc and demand that we should be patriotic enough by blinding our ourselves to
such serious national issues,and yes God is great.
  Another article from the Independent posted was the plight of a young
students who is having problems of providing for his education and warning us
that without any help from individual tax payers he would most likely join the
ranks of many of his fellows who are already half educated.Have we not then
the right to challenge the claimed by the government that they are doing great
progress with the  education of our brothers and sisters,when the reality on
the ground is of another story as this one published by the Independent.
I can also understand the problem that such articles are mind disturbing for
those people who believed that there are great progress in the country but I
will never understand the call for me to submit my right to speak against
injustice. This is the reality even though difficult to digest
The political situation in our country is at a very decisive moment,when years
of political opportunism takes its course, wherther flowing from so called
left wing radicalism or petty bourgeoisie greediness, justifying the
oppression of the Gambian people by those who should know better is a sign of
national crisis. How can we insist that the government is doing better,when
unemployment is greater now than ever before,how can we justify the situation
as it is when the national debt crisis seems to be a burden that will run
through to the next generation.How do we engaged in national development when
I fear ;losing my job for speaking my mind,or just knowing that the NIA will
soon be knocking on my door.
Any government,that takes it to bring fear in the minds of her citizens as a
political weapon to have a total control over the situation is a government on
the run and not learning from even modern history that the price to be paid
for such a behaviour could be uncomfortable; that even intelligent people are
no longer capable of critical thinking subjecting themselves  to mere
political opportunism is much more disheartening to our nation than our
critics of the government.If we are no longer able to defend the interest of
our nation and people against those who are managing the affairs of our
country then it is much more better to exiled our selves from the political
situation in the country and prepare our explanation to our children for been
so passive.The whole nation stood against military intervention from Senegal
in 1981 regardless of political affiliation, this is what I call patriotism,
defending the right of students to demonstrate without been shot down or
torture is what is patriotism. Defending the right of a poor man like single
Nyasse for speaking his mind without  fear of been tortured is what is
patriotism ,defending the right of poor tax payers money for healthy
enviroment,good medical services and a good educational system is what is
patriotism. A democratic and free Gambia is what I whish my children this is
why I am speaking against political and economic oppression in my country.The
Aprc have a choice and I dont have,they can stop the military build up and use
that money to create jobs ,they can tell their president that a nation like
ours with two fortress state houses ,one in Banjul and the other in Kaninlia
is wastage,they should understand that peddling poeple to?from Mecca for
political reasons instead of using the money for national development is
wrong,they should understand that the mounting debt crisis for a poor nation
like ours is a disaster or they can tell the Gambian people that they are no
longer able to manage the affairs of the country.

For Freedom
Saiks