GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 11:25:24 +0000
             Citizens Bill of Journalism Rights

What do we as citizens have a right to expect from journalists? And what
should we do if we believe these rights are being abused or ignored? The
principles of journalism do not belong to journalists alone--they are as
much a citizens’ bill of rights as they are a journalists’ bill of
responsibilities.

What journalists must offer and what citizens should expect.

Truthfulness

1. We should expect, above all, truthfulness:

The integrity of the reporting should be obvious. The process of
verification–how news people made their decisions and why–should be
transparent in the work so we can judge the value and fairness of the
information for ourselves. What elements would such a piece of reporting
contain?

A story should make clear the sources of information, the basis of their
knowledge, and why the information is believable and relevant.
The story’s relevance should be clearly stated.

Important unanswered questions should be noted.

If the story raises a point of controversy we should expect follow up.
Citizens, in turn, have an obligation to approach the news with an open mind
and not just a desire that the news reinforce existing opinion.

2. We should expect proof that the journalists’ first loyalty is to
citizens:

This means stories should answer our needs as citizens, not just the
interests of insiders, or the political or economic system.
There should be a demonstrated effort to understand and reflect the whole
community. We should see clear cases in which the news company will put its
own financial interests at risk by providing information--through news,
reviews, retail and consumer coverage—that could do it harm. We should
expect news companies to disclose any synergy, connecting partnerships or
conflicts of interest as they relate to a particular story. This includes
reporting on a news organization’s own lobbying efforts.

3. We should expect journalists to maintain independence from those they
cover:

It should be clear that commentators, columnists and journalists of opinion
are serving the citizen debate rather than the narrow interests of a faction
or a particular outcome. While journalists need not be neutral, we should
expect they will not have divided loyalties. If journalists get too close to
those they cover it only makes it more difficult for them to understand or
convey all sides. Secretly counseling or writing speeches for sources is an
example.  Journalists’ work should display evidence of independent
thinking-- not always criticism of one side and praise of the other. We
should see ample proof that these commentators have really examined the
ideas of both those they agree and disagree with.

4. We have the right to expect that journalists will monitor power and give
voice to the voiceless:

The press should use its watchdog power to uncover things that are important
new and that change community thinking. The news media should not squander
this constitutional freedom on sideshow or pseudo scandals that research
shows may build an audience. The press should monitor all the key centers of
power in the community—including but not limited to government. We should
see clear evidence that journalists have not simply become a tool of
investigative agencies.

5. We have a right to a forum for public criticism and problem solving:

News providers should offer several channels for public interaction--be it
letters, e-mail, phone contacts, or public forums--including mechanisms for
readers and viewers to make story suggestions or raise criticisms.  News
organizations also should give us access to a portion of their space or
airtime so that we can converse in our own words with our fellow citizens.
Over time, we should expect to see a broad representation of views and
values reflected in the news coverage--and not just those of the extreme
positions that leave no room for compromise or problem solving.

6. We have a right to expect news that is proportional and relevant:

Journalists should be aware of our basic dilemma as citizens: that we have a
need for timely and deep knowledge of important issues and trends--but we
lack the time and means to access most of this crucial information.  Thus
journalists should use their special access to put the material they gather
in a context that will engage our attention and also allow us to see trends
and events in proportion to their true significance in our lives.

News reports should not overstate the true nature of threats to our
community such as crime and unusual weather. To provide a complete picture,
we also should expect journalists to cover those aspects of community life
that are functioning well. Our successes should be as apparent as our
failures. Journalists should balance the public right to know with the
personal right to privacy.

Take it or leave it!
Modou