GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 15:42:29 +0100
Joe

We should not be surprise about APRC's attitude to Pa
Sallah Jeng, the Elected Mayor of Banjul. If it had
taken President Jammeh so long to appoint a new
cabinet after his swearing ceremony, how about
allowing  the Elected Mayor to assume office.

The problem with APRC is this; they are suffering from
the hangover of military dictatorship, they are yet to
understand the politics of tolerance and good
governance. I am sure this is just the beginning for
"Poor" Pa Sallah Jeng, don't be surprise if they try
to sideline him on issues pertaining to the
administration of Banjul City Council.   The Local
Government Act does not give the Elected Mayors strong
powers of administration. With this in mind, I fear
for the people of Banjul, its seems the political
persecution against Banjulians has just started and I
fear for the worst. Knowing APRC so well, the 9
Elected Councillors from the  APRC camp will try and
make Pa Sallah Jeng's role a ceremonial one.

Just watch out the space of developments.

Sanusi Owens

Thank you
--- Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Buharry,
it seems like our fears were reasonable and