GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:07:06 EDT
Bakary:
I think we fundamentally agree on the basics; i.e., terrorism is wrong,
incursions are wrong, and so are the suicide bombing carried out by children
as young 17.  My concern has to do more with the factuality of your piece.  I
understand your bias but regardless, the information you post here should be
accurate and not full of mistruths for it does a disservice to your cause.
It is also important to note that this your approach is much more
constructive than your earlier stance of labeling some of us with alternative
views as hypocrites and then shying away from your very own statements.

Anyway, lets deal with some of your distortions;

You wrote:
"The on-going conflict between the Palestinians and the Israelis has its
origins in terrorism. The conflict is sustained through terrorism practiced
by the Israeli army and it is in part resisted through terrorism against
Israeli civilians. Therefore terrorism is both the cause and effect in the
conflict; it is also the symptom BUT IT CAN NEVER BE THE SOLUTION."

This is an extremely inaccurate assertion on your part.  Let's take a look at
the definition of terrorism.  Merriam-Webster defines this as "the systematic
use of terror especially as a means of coercion. "

Given this definition, and als due to the historically documented fact that
even in the early stages of this conflict (ie 40s, 50s, and 70s), Palestinian
guerrillas/terrorists frequently staged attacks which often targeted innocent
Israeli citizens, it is very difficult for your above assertion to hold it's
own.  The Israeli special forces would in turn, retaliate against these acts
by staging reprisal acts on guerilla groups based in Southern Lebanon and
other Arab states.

Furthermore, it is also very important to note that the PLO was created in
1964, in effect as an amalgamation of these aforementioned terrorist/guerilla
groups and labor unions with the expressed purpose of this organization being
to destroy Israel and set up a Palestinian State from the Mediterranean to
Jordan.  It was also the PLO which ordered and set up the logistics for the
Munich massacre of the early 70s when innocent Israeli athletes were
massacred in their dorms in Munich.  The cycle of violence continues to this
day but fact is you convenient ignored two important fundamentals;

1. That what you called terrorist activities were in fact started by the
Palestinians.  It is therefore more accurate to state that this violence is
sustained through terroristic acts against innocent Israelis started by
fringe groups and continued through the PLO and more fringe groups today.

2. It is also important to note that since Arafat assumed leadership of the
then terrorist PLO group, he is also in principle like Sharon, a terrorist.

Let me proceed to say that despite my above assertions, I recognize the
atrocities committed by the Israeli army in Jenin & other places both past
and present.  Of course, one must also understand that had the suicide
bombings not taken place, this Jenin incursion would never have occurred.
Regardless, like the UN investigator on CNN stated, there needs to be an
investigation of the incidents in Jenin and other places.  What I don't like
is your attempt to cast aspersions on George Bush by comparing his actions to
those of Yahya Jammeh.  This IMO is a very disingenuous comparison to be
expected only from his supporters or sympathizers.  This dishonest analogy
has no place in this debate.

As I stated earlier in this thread, the USA made a moral commitment to
protect Israel back in it's formative years.  This is the main reason why
this country has supported them and not due to some secret conspiracy to
subdue the Palestinians.  Also, given the backdrop of what happened here on
Sept 11, it is unreasonable to expect the strategy of using violence to
coerce used by Palestinians to get any support or sympathy from this end.
Sept 11 opened our eyes and showed us that we must wipe out terrorism from
wherever it grows.  So yes, while the incidents in Jenin and other places are
tragic and wrong, this country supports acts to uproot this evil people from
wherever they plot to do wrong.  Nevertheless, Bush because of the suffering
experienced by Palestinians as collateral these IMO justified incursions, has
ordered Sharon to withdraw from the occupied areas.  I have not heard the
"man of peace statement" by Bush you referred too but it is public record
that his administration has rebuked the behavior of both sides and duly so.

IMO, oppression which Palestinians suffer today is partly of their own making
and one cannot look at Israel and USA as the only cause.  It is unreasonable
to expect the Israelis to accept some half baked Saudi peace plan in the face
of ongoing violence. I also believe that the UN and USA will be the ultimate
power brokers in this conflict.  This said, the Palestinian fringe groups and
the PLO are not helping their cause by terrorist activities.  After all,
documents linking Arafat's regime to terrorism have been unearthed of late.
Like I said from the very beginning, two wrongs do not make a right.

-Yus