GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 14:14:08 +0000
Congratulations to the Junoir Scopions for their win.  However, little
history here for the author.  Very few teams have beaten our junior squads.
We never lost to Senegal in the eighties and we would spank our opponents
even in their home turf.  The junior squads did not go far because of the
former GFA's focus on the Senior Squad.  So, this feat by the Young Scopions
is a continuation of a legacy from the past.  Keep the fire burning.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

Player Profile Azziz Keita Ended Dakar's Supremacy Somewhat

Email This Page

Print This Page

The Independent (Banjul)

OPINION
May 10, 2002
Posted to the web May 10, 2002

Chelsea
Banjul

Okay, Senegal is notorious for unleashing on us serious soccer spankings
over the years, the latest of these being the final of the Zone II in Mali
when, for the second time, our neighbours have denied us getting our hands
on the trophy and wreathing faces back home in unremoveable smiles.

Well, that exasperating soccer umbilical cord is slowly beginning to wear
off at the junior level, at least.

Two years ago, when our U-20 squad lost to Senegal [again!] on home soil,
the dream of progressing to the next round looked all but certain.However,
the overblown Senegalese fans were in for a pernicious kick in the teeth. A
determined young Scorpions side played their hearts out and transported the
points, [and themselves into the next phase] to Banjul, in a shock 2-1 win.

"I just can't describe the untold joy I felt when the final whistle went,"
Azziz Keita the scorer of those memorable goals, said to me.

"Senegal has long triumphed over us and to shake ourselves free from that
grasp in Dakar was special. Still, our preparations were good and we were
all optimistic that we will win." Pencha, a Serekunda Nawettan outfit, was
where Keita kicked off before moving on to the then first division club,
Mass Sosseh, where he saw off a season before Wallidan sought and got his
signature, after the 1997 Zone II tournament.

With four U-20 caps and a brace of goals to his name, Keita has sky-high
hopes for ex-coach, Alhagie Sarr.

"I was with him at Mass Sosseh and what I has learnt from him is
immeasurable", he said.

A Real Madrid fan, Keita, however has a peaky [near impossible?] aim."I
would love to grace the English football scene, partnering my hero,
Solskjaer, at Manchester United!"

Loose words, you might exclaim, but who says it can't carry weight if he
puts his all into it? After all, Napoleon Bonaparte once said, "impossible
is a word found in the dictionary of fools!" Take note