GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 11:09:55 +0200
On 1 May 2002 at 15:50, M.B.Krubally wrote:

> What type of forum do we have here? It is becoming a habit to end every debate
> topic with a fight. The style of debate on this forum is wrong and sickening,
> and the idea of digging into people's personal lives looking for dirt to end a
> loosing debate is UNCALLED FOR. Lately, the good debaters and some smart writers
> have resorted to personal attacks. I really hope that we will be gentler towards
> each other in person than we currently are in cyberspace. It is almost becoming
> disgraceful and a waste of time to be a part of this so-called "Bantaba".
>
> Gambia (The smiling Coast Folks), we are disgracing ourselves and loosing a lot
> of respect out there. I suggest we stop the personal attacks, or use private
> e-mail addresses if we have to be nasty with each other.

List managers can set any individual subscriber's postings sent to list owner
for review before the mail goes through or another option where a user may not
post to list. In both cases the user will receive all mails from the L but cant
post. Doing any of these will defeat the purpose of Gambia-L. We expect members
to be matured enough and that they do not misuse the forum by slandering and
personal attacks.

Below is a mail sent behind the scenes to one of the subscribers from a list
manager and we can all learn something from it.

-------------- Begin quote ---------------------

"I guess we don't need to bring the fight or quarrel to the Management. What we
are here to do is to resolve the problems that arise out of subscribers
intolerance and the inability to discuss fully without using abusive languages.
I wish we won't have to go through that but as you can see dealing with adults
can be very difficult. Especially when one believe that they are mature enough
to discuss as intellectuals and it turns out the other way. We hate the job of
having to monitor what people say or write. We hate the fact that people will
call on us to bring back civility to the L. What we will love to see is that
people discuss and bring in all their experiences, information, expertise to
the L ,where Gambians young and old will learn from it and be proud of us and
themselves.

I guess you've made your point clear and we should move on from there. You
should also remember that we won't gain anything from exchanging abuses with
each other. Personally it can be shocking to me, when i read such articles
written by educated Gambians. What matters to all is the betterment of our
country despite our differences. And as List managers a forum where people can
discuss and share ideas without hindrance. We cherish the contributions of all
Gambians and we are not hear to take sides."

regards,
Momodou Camara>>>\\\///\\\///\\\<<<<<<
"Any one man, woman or child can be what they want
to be; but be the right thing."
                         -----Burning Spear------