GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:01:46 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2002 3:00:55 PM , [log in to unmask] writes:

> Jabou,
>
> This just goes to show how seriously our development efforts are
> recognised. These donors know that not a Butut of the money they give us
> would be plundered. They know full well our determination to make a
> difference.
>
> They also recognise the strategic importance of our little country and the
> efforts and progress it has registered during the past few days. In this
> government, they see a government that is investing in the development of
> its people and country. They have seen the investments made in health,
> education, agriculture, energy, clean water, communications, roads, the
> media, good governance etc.
>
> Just watch out this space for developments ahead, including oil.
>
> Have a good day, Gassa.
______________________________________
Gassa,

If the Donors are impressed because they see progress even as Gambians are
suffering to the point that the government has to go begging to alleviate
poverty, while you are telling us of the magnificent strides they have made,
that is a bit contradictory don't you think?
Too bad that people cannot eat new roads or stay alive long enough to take
advantage of the "new and improved healthcare" if they die from starvation.

Too bad that the "new media" is a tool and voice for the oppressors of our
people,
and the independent media is terroized in this "free and progressive new
Gambia"  so that even the reporting of daily public interest news is a crime
that warrants the wrath of the NIA being let loose upon them.

In this "new improvements in the agricultural sector" too bad that the
farmers have not been able to sell their crops  for a number of seasons now
which is leading to starvation for them and their families so the government
has to go beg on their behalf even as they are lauding themselves in the same
breath for the progress they have made.
Too bad that a lot of parents cannot afford to pay the school fees so their
kids can afford to take advantage of the "new improvements in education"

Let us hope that the general populace will also come to realize these strides
that the donors have recognized even as they give money to alleviate poverty.

All the "improvements" in the face of ongoing poverty and suffering by the
people kind of reminds me of someone who made a bad decision ( or a devious
and calculated one in this case) to give his house a nice new exterior so the
beholders will marvel at its' beauty, but inside, things are falling apart.

We know about the strategic importance of our little country, and
unfortunately, some of us use this as a means to advance their own personal
gains, and those who see us as a strategic location have no interest in the
well being of our people but only in that of their own. They do have
something in common with the corrupt amongst us!

 It takes dedicated sons and daughters with integrity and conviction to do
the right thing to make sure that we are not just victims in these games of
strategy and greed while they use all the right words and approaches to make
personal gains. Let us pray that the ones amongst us with this conviction
will eventually come to lead our people.

Jabou Joh