GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:56:35 -0400
Ndey,

Thanks for your inputs on the current debate.

I somehow do not understand what some of you want. The government drew up a
programme of development activities to help it put in place policies and
infrastructures to help us alleviate poverty and improve governance. They
went with this programme to Geneva to sell it to those who might be
interested in assisting. The requested $70 million over a planned period of
three years with detailed information as to where the money would be spent
and what results it expects. The donors instead pledge more than $115
million with guidelines such as adherence to the rule of law, an
independent judiciary and average growth in GDP of about 6%. This, by the
way is way above the Sub-Saharan average of 3.5%. And you don't think we
ought to jubilate? Is that what you are telling me?

As I am writing this, there are folks on the other side of Banjul trying to
cross but have a wait for up to thirty minutes for one of the two ferries
to come around. I am sure the heavy rains of the recent past have rendered
many of our roads impassable. There are schools without computers,
electricity or a decent library. How long do you think poor Gambia can
overcome all its woes without outside assistance.

On the issue of economic policies, the only policies that we've had over
the centuries are those that brought slavery, continue to encourage the
brain drain, force us to abandon our culture and all it means for another
we do not quite comprehend. Globalisation, which is now the chick policy,
is just another form of colonisation. It is these same policies that force
to remove subsidies from agriculture, health and education while they are
maintained by those telling us to forego them.

While I do not know how much Jammeh has stolen from us, if any, I would
rather stick withi him because I am seeing the tangible things he is doing
and how this might help us move on. His policies on agriculture, road
networks, education (particularly the University and other tertiary
institutions), health are policies that are bearing fruits, albeit small
ones. I understand that about 25 students are enrolled to study law. If
this is true that would be great, wouldn't it? As I am writing this piece,
there are less than 20 practicing Gambian lawyers in the whole country. If
you want a mortgage, their average going rate for the preparation of such
standard documents stored on their PCs is about 10% of the value of the
mortgage. To see one for consultation they ask for between D350.00 and
D900.00. How many of us can afford such exorbitant fees? These are just
some of the reasons behind my support for the policies of the government.
We must start implementing our policies rather than spending endless time
reviewing and articulating them. You cannot demand of us rule of law and
justice if only a select few can afford it. We must start by putting up the
infrastructures, logistics and developing the human resources required.
Anything short of that is wishful thinking. And this is no rhetoric, it is
reality (JAHARANG) as KB would say.

Have a good day, Gassa.

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)