GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:49:46 -0400
Hey Habib, do you notice that whenever somebody criticizes Israel they
brand you an anti Semite; they have very thin skin. Now I understand the
world Jewish congress have website in which they list university professors
who are critical of Israel. If I remember my history, Hitler did that
because he regarded intellectuals a treat to his "mincom".
Daddy Sang

convenientlyforgot

> [...]
> the US. This is despite legislation, the Symington Accord, to prevent
> US governments from granting aid to countries who develop nuclear
> weapons outside of international control and agreement. Sharon claims
> that, until there is peace in the Middle East, Israel will do what it
> likes with its weapons. Sharon's policies of occupation, past and
> present, of all surrounding territories, Palestinian, Syrian,
> Egyptian and Lebanese suggests that what he likes is aggression. And,
> unlike in 1991, he has already threatened a nuclear response to any
> Iraqi attack.  MPs defending Tony Blair's close relationship with
> President Bush claim that he has more influence "in the tent than
> outside". Many of them agree with anti-war campaigners that action in
> Iraq must be combined with action over Israel's violation of UN
> resolutions on Palestine. This month, the Vanunu committee in Israel
> will test Tony Blair 's transatlantic influence by asking Kofi Annan
> to apply the same UN arms inspection requirements that it is applying
> to Iraq, to Israel. Egypt has been making this demand for some time.
> It's a demand that requires support in the security council. Will our
> prime minister use his influence on Bush and support this reasonable
> request? I fear not.  But surely the British government could do
> something about Vanunu, and make up for the Thatcher government
> failure, after the kidnapping in 1986, to take any action over
> Mossad's flagrant breach of international law? The dossier on Iraq's
> nuclear weapons, on which Blair rests his case for armed
> intervention, relies explicitly on information from Iraqi
> whistleblowers. These men have been given the status of heroes.
> Meanwhile Vanunu has still not been granted the parole he was due
> three years ago. He is a prisoner of conscience. He signed a contract
> of secrecy at Dimona without being told the whole truth, and when he
> discovered the true nature of his work he spoke out. Amnesty
> International has been calling for his release for years. The British
> government has supported legislation that encourages whistleblowers
> to speak out in the public interest. It could now - applying Article
> 19 of the UN's International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
> on the freedom to impart information regardless of national
> boundaries - give its support to a man who has spoken out in the
> interests of the whole of humanity. A spokesman for the foreign
> office made it clear that it will not be supporting Vanunu's
> application for parole when it comes up on October 29.  Vanunu wrote
> a poem that described his transition from technician to citizen:
> "Rise and cry out... You are the secret agent of the people. You are
> the eyes of the nation." It is an appeal to all of us.
> · Hilary Wainwright is editor of Red Pepper.
> The Vanunu campaign: [log in to unmask]  Send and
> receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here

--- Carolann Durda
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.