GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:16:56 +0200
Friends,
exactly my thoughts.  As I said yesterday this will become a burden for The
Gambia for 100 years or more. How much of the D 480 million is interest and
how much is spend on reducing the debt ?

This was the situation in Denmark for many years. We paid so much in
interest on our foreign debt, that there was no money to more important
things and priorities. So the political debate in Denmarks has for many
years only been how much can we reduce the statebudget, how much can we
reduce the local commune-budgets, how can we reduce the social help and
wellfare, can it be done by outsourcing and privatising ? etc. No visions
could set sails and take a direction.

At the end the foreign debt will be like handcuffs. You can not move. And
the result when the IMF comes in is to ask the countries with a heavy
foreign debt to cut on social welfare (if there is any), cut on education
etc. and spend all the money on debt-reducing efforts.

The fast growing infrastructure development in The Gambia, which we are so
proud of, ca turn to become a millstone around the neck of the coming
generations.

I´m glad to see that a least one member of the parliament has seen the
scenario and try to warn and start a debate on priorities.

Regards Asbjørn Nordam