GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 20:25:02 +0000
I concur with OJ's analyses that Gambians in the diaspora can effect
meaningful pressure on the tyrant on the ground.  I am also glad to hear OJ
articulate his belief in our strength both in numbers and in helping the
Gambian people and economy hobble along.  On that note, I am unofficially
appealing to OJ, Halifa, Sidia, Hamat, Ousainou, and Waa, to attend the July
4 conference in Atlanta.  Gambians are counting on your presence and we look
forward to a fruitful exchange of ideas and strategy to liberate Gambia from
Yaya Jammeh and his fellow criminals.  We cannot do it individually or in
small groups.  This is certainly a time for sacrifice for the common good.
Let us liberate ourselves from the jaws of the beast first, and then we can
focus on winning the hearts and minds of a future Gambia.  We owe that much
to our peoples.  Please read on.

Gambians in Diaspora Over 80,000 Strong

The Independent (Banjul)

May 2, 2003
Posted to the web May 2, 2003

S.B. Camara
Banjul

Over eighty thousand (80, 000) Gambians are staying in the diaspora, and
their influence on the Gambia's political and social scene shouldn't be
under-estimated, according to facts and figures from Omar Jallow who
recently ended a whistle-stop tour of Britain and the United States.

Gambians abroad have been a consistent source of foreign exchange as they
send in millions of Dalasi for the upkeep of their families here and in the
process help prop up the economy.

OJ said this category of Gambians wield a potent influence to be reckoned
with in The Gambia, where they can bring real pressure to bear on the
established order to effect desired changes in the political status quo.

OJ said during his recent twelve-week tour of Britain and the United States
he was able to reach a consensus with Gambians in these states to organise
themselves into not only a numerically strong force to be reckoned with in
those states and back home in The Gambia but as a social and political
pressure group whose influence in The Gambia could be felt in all strata of
society.

OJ explained that if Gambians in the diaspora should organise themselves
they would be following in the footsteps of other African communities there
who can boast of success stories in pursuing their interests. He said this
include Senegalese, Ghanaian, and Nigerian communities who have succeeded in
attracting attention from the administration, of their host countries.

"Whether we like it or not, there are some Gambians who will never return
home. The diaspora has become their home, and we don't expect every Gambian
in diaspora to come back" O.J said.

OJ said he made it clear to the British Parliament in a speech there since
2001, when he last visited the House of Commons that "we need help, not that
I want all these Gambians to come back, but so that every Gambian will live
freely in his or her country. But as long as you the British have come
without our invitation and lived in Gambia for 75 years, I expect Gambians
who are here to stay five times that number of years."

A growing number of Gambian families are being run by Gambians in the
diaspora who can exert pressure on their dependents in matters of politics
and influence them to change the status quo. He said the marginary
difference that the APRC won against the opposition in the 2001 elections
will be easily overturned with the current national state of affairs which
continue to witness a huge deficit in the area of governance, human rights
and rampant corruptions coupled with economic doldrums.

OJ believes that Gambians in the diaspora are immensely contributing to the
socio-economic aspect of the national development scenario.

"These Gambians abroad are keenly monitoring how developments are unfolding.

Where necessary, they can act as a strong pressure group to the APRC
government" he observed.