GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:27:18 EDT
I also salute the independent for being the voice of the people!
They are truely representing journalism at it best, being the voice of the
people especially in circumstances where the atmosphere is hostile and every
attempt is made to silence them,  and yet, they carry on, doing what is
necessary.
It is a sign of the courage, dedication and a sense of responsibility that
must guide the leadership of this organization and their staff. They have
displayed this dedication to saying what needs to be said  ever since some of the
staff of this paper resigned from the Observer refusing to compromise their
integrity, and again, I salute them because they represent a glimmer of hope in
our society.

Thanks for the forward Modou Camara.

Sidibeh,  this sort of thing is just one of the many indications that our
governments have long forgotten, if indeed they ever knew,  that they were
working for the people, and not see their positions as an avenue to rob them
instead. They are rignt, from the Jawara regime to the Jammeh regime, this has been
the case.

This, coupled with the various means they use to extort money  and favours
from  private business  people who are struggling to make ends meet, and whose
success should be encouraged by the government, these people have a thriving
mafia operation  at the espense of the people whose welfare they are charged
with.

It is only in Africa where people who were not rich before; become wealthy as
soon as they come into power and with the salary scales we have, and all the
while, the people around them are wallowing in poverty and watching them as
they go about engaging in these shameless behaviours.

Jabou Joh