GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:16:52 +0000
Mo, thanks for your observations and inquiry.  Below is a draft of the press
release that the Independent newspaper published.  I had sent it to the
GPost after the Independent published it, as part of the agreement was to
not post it before the paper issued it.  Sorry for the oversight.  I would,
however, recommend that all those that could not make it to Atlanta to order
the tapes from myself or Kebba Foon.  The tape will help you really see what
was achieved on that day and whether the Alternative was serious about
forming a coalition.  Below is a high level summary of what transpired and
it captured the essence of the day.  But the tape is a must see. To order
the tape, please contact Kebba Foon at [log in to unmask] or (770)682-1578
or myself at (773)768-8264 or (773)870-1251.  All proceeds from the video
tape sales go to the Fund.  The tapes are on sale for $20 so please send in
your orders.  Contributions to the fund are also being received by Joe
Sambou, 8046 S. Kimbark Ave., Chicago, IL 60619.  Currently, we have an
Accountant, Saloum Njie, in Atlanta, and two Lawyers that are working to
register the fund.  Please we need your contributions while the registration
process is being worked on.  Thanks all for your support and efforts to save
the Gambia.  Please see below.

On Saturday, July 5, in Atlanta, Georgia, Gambians in the diaspora and the
opposition party representatives, here to, referred as the Alternative party
representatives (NDAM, NRP, PDOIS, PPP, and UDP), met to explore the
possibility of the Alternative parties forming a coalition against the APRC
in the 2006 Presidential elections.  A communiqué that was drafted by
members of the Gambia Post list serve, echoing the call of all Gambians from
within and without for the Alternative parties to form a coalition was read
and a copy formally presented to all the Alternative representatives.  Also,
the Save The Gambia Fund Organization was formally introduced to the
Alternative as the financial arm to fund the activities of an eventual
Alternative coalition and the independent press.  All five Alternative
representatives, on behalf of their respective parties, expressed their
interest and willingness to begin to seriously examine the possibility of
either coalescing to effect a regime change or a system change.  Whether the
former, or latter, or a combination of the two is adopted, the Alternative
will need to work out the modalities to bring about a viable alternative to
the APRC.  This lead to the suggestion that the Alternative parties go back
and examine all the factors that may enhance or hinder a coalition around a
given strategic objective.  Answers to what and how need to be critically
looked into in order to avoid pitfalls that befell other alliances in the
African continent.  Therefore, it is necessary for the exercise to be a
process rather than the mere declaration of a coalition, at this time, for a
coalition is built through mutual understanding and consultations, and not
merely declared.

On the part of the diasporans, it was recommended that they should recognize
the power of organization and should endeavor to establish new structures to
better influence the political process in the Gambia.  They should set up
various committees to engage different processes and progressive
organizations in the country.  For e.g., a committee dealing with the
electoral process should examine all the laws and process governing
elections and deal directly with the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC),
to conduct investigations and make recommendations to ensure a free and fair
voting system.  Such a committee may also mobilize international support to
monitor the registration of voters and the voting process.

Another committee can engage the Gambian population directly by raising
funds and gathering material to address the needs of the disadvantaged
population and to improve certain social services.  Still, another committee
could be responsible for liaising with Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
and other civil society organizations in the Gambia and the diaspora to
carry out civil education programs that can heighten the awareness of the
Gambian people on all areas of government.

In light of the above suggestions, three additional suggestions were made,
as follows.  That Gambians in the diaspora should come up with a draft
proposal on the modalities of a coalition for onward transmission to the
Alternative parties for review.

Both the Alternative and Gambians in the diaspora should exercise
objectivity and maturity in their political discourse, so as to earn the
respect and support of the Gambian people.

Finally, the movement should be broad based and accommodating to those who
have political affiliations as well as those who simply want to have in
place democratic institutions and safeguards in the Gambia to ensure
political stability, respect for human rights, freedom from fear and general
welfare.

The Alternative and their representative intend to meet and dialogue some
more upon their return to the Gambia.  Gambians in the diaspora are also
willing and ready to meet the challenges that lay ahead and are poised to
continue the journey that already begun to ultimately lead to the future
liberation of The Gambia.  Both the Alternative and Gambians in the diaspora
recognize the Herculean nature of their pledge to chart a new future for the
Gambia, however, it is a journey they must embark upon.  They owe it to the
Gambian people.

>From: Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Abdoulaye Saine All for Change
>Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:05:28 +0200
>
>Joe,
>
>Many thanks for bringing this interview to our notice. Dr. Saine is a great
>resources for the country and one must hope that many other Gambian
>academics throw out such important signals about the need for change from
>the current political torpor. Those with a decent education ought to have
>the courage to champion the cause of the poor and unrepresented, or at
>least say what is obvious to even those without eyes.
>
>But Brother Joe Sambou, many Lers and myself are still eagerly waiting for
>the report on the Coalition summit in Atlanta. Unless my memory fails me
>gravely, you made a pledge that this would be presented Saturday two weeks
>ago. Please, cultivate some time and share it with us.
>What is the coalition prepared to do? Could the different political parties
>contemplate aggreeing on a common programme? a common campaign platform for
>2006? If so what will be their next move? Can we expect to see additional
>meetings amongst the parties to discuss strategies?
>
>Keep on With The Good Work Down There....
>
>Cheers,
>Momodou S Sidibeh

>Web interface

Mo, thanks for your observations and inquiry.  Below is a draft of the press
release that the Independent newspaper published.  I had sent it to the post
after the Independent published it, as part of the agreement was to not post
it before the paper issue it.  Sorry for the oversight.  I would however