GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 01:09:56 +0100
Refering to Joe Sambou as Joe Energy Sambou is calling Joe a name. To
interpret that as mocking and ridiculing him is perhaps one of those
rare moments in English literature when figuratively writing of anyone
as being energetic should translate into impish, mean-spirited
caricature of said person. There is a huge difference between irony and
ridicule. Ridicule was not my intention, and as Mr. Sambou himself seems
to have taken offence, I need to express my regrets. Nevertheless, Mr.
Sambou's true observations contrasted to my noxious falsehoods might
help all of us see more clearly.

But let us look at the current dynamics of repression: the situation is
desperate for most Gambians, and conscientious political leaders and
other Gambians are going to react to it in different ways. Mr. Waa
Juwara has reacted, and willing Diaporan Gambians have rallied to
express solidarity with his family and what he stands for. A newspaper
has been targeted and Mr. Sambou, has taken the lead to canvass for our
support. It is three years to the elections, and as conditions worsen,
cycles of repression are likely to follow. Who is next? Honourble Halifa
Sallah? Mr. Omar Jallow? Another newspaper? Organised students? How are
we going to express solidarity in the long run? Perhaps I/we have failed
Dumo for not starting a fund in his name and those of his co-detainees
whose families must be in the red as well?

Thrue, I may be the quintessential talkative here, but a decent number
of people do support important causes at home by contributing funds. I
too do that sometimes. But for me that is absolutely nothing. It is
zero! While I recognise that funds do help and matter a great deal in
the lives of some people, I am persuaded that it does not solve the
PROBLEM. But my contribution assuages my bourgeios sensibilities and
greases my conscience into thinking that I am doing my share. It is a
huge bourgeois illusion; and so are all projects, that, among other
weaknesses, are structurally dysfunctional. It is time we got truly and
sincerely organised!
I have said what good I could of the Save The Gambia Fund, and if I see
the need to level criticism at it, I will do that as well. If Mr. Jeng
thinks that calling it an illusory project is to ridicule it, well so be
it.

Momodou S Sidibeh