GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:30:06 -0400
Mo, thanks for your inquiry and for the Waa Fund, Soffie can help with
that.  As for the Save The Gambia Democracy Project fund (STGDP), formerly
the Save The Gambia Fund, I will obtain the account number and routing
number from Banka Manneh or Kebba Foon in Atlanta.  The account resides in
Atlanta.  So, please bear with me.

As to whether the L readership are irrelevant in the struggle, I say they
are just as important and necessary in the struggle for a better Gambia,
just as any other Gambian interest.  In the past I made sure that any
issue discussed that is relevant to Gambians, on the L or Post, is sent to
the other site, respectively.  However, I was attacked for that, to the
point I decided to focus my services on other things that equally needed
my time.  In the interest of sanity, I decided to contact the folks from
the L that contributed to the fund privately, to update them about the
fund.  I also realized that by doing that I alienated other readers in the
L, but I had no other option in the midst of the attacks.  The L
readership also had a responsibility to tell those folks that they needed
to hear what Gambians are discussing in other fora.  I interpreted the
silence as an agreement to not bring other voices from other sides.  Most
of the discussions regarding the various fund raising events, conferences,
demonstrations etc., take place on the Post.  However, how can I bring
issues from other sites to the L if it seemed to serve as nuisance to the
readership?  May be the list managers can weigh in and give direction as
to what is acceptable or not acceptable from other sites for information
sharing.  Actually, a couple of managers have rebuked me, that a
particular discussion took place on the Post and are not to be discussed
on the L.  I don't recall who exactly, but their comments are some where
in the archives.  And so, what is the way forward?  I sent in the Waa Fund
because that is discussion I brought to the Post and hopefully none would
have a problem with on the L.  The other thing I continue to send to the L
is the Foroyaa newspaper and that I receive from Sam Sarr of PDOIS and I
send them to both the L and Post and I hope none have a problem with
that.

So, left to me, I will share any information I came across that is of
interest to Gambians, regardless of who they are and where they are, but
if the messenger (I) is the problem, then I will let others provide that
service.  The problem in this case is, none stepped in to provide the
service.  I hope the managers will give direction on this important
issue.  Also, the STGDP is not sending weekly/monthly updates of the list
of contributions/contributors to any forum any more, for we realized that
our people see the numbers on the list visa vie our numbers in the
diaspora and comfortably play a wait and see strategy.

To conclude, am I allowed by the managers to bring information (not
certain information), but any information that is of interest to the
readership, from other Gambian sites?  The freedom of information requires
the spread all information, not just what a certain quarter agrees with,
but any and all information.  That is how we can grow as citizens of this
world in general, and as Gambians in particular.  This is a lengthy
response to your six word inquiry, but I think it is important that we
clear the fog on this issue for a way forword.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

--
Chi Jaama