GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mr. Demba Jawo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:21:38 -0800
I agree entirely with what Ebrima said as regards the ownership of NADD. He is quite right it does not belong to only those whose names he emntioned, even though they may be the initiators. Like all other political movements, if it is to succeed, then every bonafide Gambian has a say in its transformation into an organisation that would serve the interest of all Gambians, both at home and in the Diaspora.
Like he said, those who are interested in its development should not wait for the leadership to initiate everything, including who its flag bearer should be, but it is the duty of everyone else to participate in that process. Of course the final choice of who the coalition would adopt would rest with the leadership, but at least all other stakeholders have a role in the process.
On the question of Dr. Isatou Touray as a possible presidential candidate, I agree it would be a perfect choice. She has all that it takes to make a credible choice. There are of course some other Gambians who are also capable of delivering the goods. Therefore, it is the duty of everyone to come up with possible names.
Indeed, it should not be assumed that even in the case of the APRC, President Jammeh is the automatic candidate in the next presidential elections. If the party is practising real democracy, then it is up to the party structures to determine who their next candidate would be.
The political scene in The Gambia promises to be quite interesting, and all of us need to play our different roles as effectively as possible in order to make it work in the interest of everyone.
Best regards to all
Demba