GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:16:17 -0700
Ginny,
  You are not being cynical at all. I think you are being ignorant. It is call "interest". Look what is happening in Palestine for the faith of one Israel soldier. We all need to realize that the world is entagled in politics of intersts.So wake up to the reality.
  Read other stories of what is happening in the Gambia and educate yourself instead of just taking sides for what you read negative about Jammeh and The Gambia.
  Alieu.

Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  You know, I'm following developments in The Gambia, regarding the
AU summit, and I just don't know. It seems that the sad and
deplorable events which have taken place in The Gambia have been
overshadowed by other things, such as the fact that leaders such as
Hugo Chavez and Ahmadinijad are coming to the summit. And of course,
Kofi Annan is coming to discuss Darfur.

And all I can think is, what about the poor people of The Gambia?
Is anyone going to talk about them and thier plight under the Jammeh
government? Because as it looks to me, the summit is going to go on,
and other side issues are going to be discussed, and Jammeh's going to
feel all pround of himself because these important leaders, namely
Chavez and Ahmedinijad, are coming to visit him! And then everyone is
going to leave and then he's going to "deal with those who have been
trying to undermine the democratically elected government of The
Gambia", like he promised he'd do.

Because he's going to feel all proud and cocky because he just
hosted this big summit and a bunch of important people came. And the
thing I keep thinking is, what is going to happen to the poor people
left behind once these people leave? Becuase hs' going to be all
puffed up, and he can think that he can just do anything.

And he probably can, because the rest of the world really doesn't
seem to care, unless you count the human rights and press freedom
groups, and the Millennium Challenge people.

Sorry guys, I'm just cynical, I guess, and I'm just finding it
hard to have a positive outlook on things, as much as normally I'm the
optimist. But I've been down this road before.

How often have I heard people say or imply that "this is the end
of Jammeh", every time some group puts out a press release about his
latest outrage, or some group denies him aid, or something like that.
And we are once again coming up to another election. How much are we
going to hear about how Gambians are going to vote Jammeh out, how we
will soon "see the back of Jammeh" etc., only to be let down the
morning after?

I keep thinking that those in the diaspora, whether they are
Gambian or not, can push and speak out and agitate and "yell and
scream" all the want. But ultimately, it's left up to the Gambian
voter, and this, of course, doesn't take into account the certainty
that Jammeh is going to rig the elections. But even then, if the
majority of the Gambian people feel that their vote was usurped, will
they be willing to stand up and demand that their vote be recognized?

Take this scenario? Let's say it becomes evidently clear that
Jammeh has rigged the elections. Let's also say that it also becomes
clear that the majority of Gambians did not vote for Jammeh. Are
Gambians going to be willing to stand up and demand that their vote,
and thus, the "real results" of the election be recognized?

Could we see another Nepal or Eukraine in The Gambia? Are the
Gambian people willing to stand up and demand their rights? Wouldn't
that be wonderful? And I'd love to think that when push comes to
shove, the Gambian people would do this. But how far do people need
to be pushed before they finally say enough is enough?

I mean, how many family members have to be killed, tortured,
detained? Or how many family members have to have disappeared of
fleed from The Gambia in fear for their safety or lives?

How bad do the roads have to fall into disrepair, or the
hospitals have to be without meds or equipment, or the farmers not to
be paid for their groundnuts? And when will people stop running to
Jammeh for that wonderful job offer, only to be sacked a few months
later in another one of his "operation no compromise" electric broom
sweeps?

I tend to make weird and strange connections, but as I'm writing
this, I've got that song "Why" by Jadakiss running through my head.
Any hip hop aficionados out there will know the song well. And the
song is basically a series of questions, like, "Why did such and such
have to happen" etc. I need to find the lyrics, and maybe I'll post
them. But I'm sure that that song could be taken and adapted to the
situation in The Gambia. Hmmm, maybe that could be like a protest
song, and some enterprising young Gambian artists and producers could
produce it, and maybe it would be a way of galvonizing people to
action, but I'm getting too far ahead of myself here.

But I have always found something endearing in people standing up
for their rights, taking back their country, and pushing the dictators
and / or evil rulers out! And I would love nothing better than to see
this happen in The Gambia.

The AU summit could have been a wonderful opportunity for The
Gambia and her people, and in some ways, it is, but for the most part,
it's only benefiting Jammeh and his cronies and psychophants, and it's
only going to allow Jammeh's head to get bigger, and cause him to be
even more puffed up with pride and feel as though he has the right to
do whateverhe wants, becuase no one spoke out. But maybe someone
will? Maybe there are some surprises in the AU summit? Maybe someone
will stand up and demand that Jammeh be held accountable? One can
hope still, can't they?

--
Visit my blog at: http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい