GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:58:43 -0800
     Greetings all, I was listening to Raaki Web Radio today, and I had some ideas.  Of course,
being that I'm not business savvy, I don't have much of an idea of how anything like this can get
off the ground, but here goes anyway.

     Firstly, is there any way that the title and artist of what you are listening to could be
displayed?  This way, if we heard something we liked, and we are not familiar with the artist, we
could go about trying to purchase the music.  Which brings me to my second idea.  Would it be
possible to create some sort of online catalog, where, when you see the artist and title of what
you are listening to, you could hit a "Buy" or "Order" button, which would allow you to purchase
the music?  Perhaps this could be structured like an online store, where not only, say Buharry,
but the artists themselves, could make money off of the sales of their music.

     I mean, artists, at least here in the US, have to get paid royalties, every time their music
is played or sold.  There is no reason why this can't be the same for Gambian artists.

     I envision Raaki Web Radio becoming a portal not only for Gambian music programming, but why
not for Gambian talk, religious, and public affairs programming as well?  Surely, for example,
there are Gambian religious scholars, as there are here in the US, that people would like to
listen to.  For example, Muslims here in the US can purchase CD's and tapes from Muslim scholars
such as Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, Imam Zaid Shakir, among many others.

     Surely, being that the Gambia is 90% Muslim, there are scholars, etc., who make their
lectures, etc., available for people to listen to.  And if not that, surely, there are Gambian
Qur'an reciters?

     Or, there could be programming where certain topics could be discussed and people could
express their views.  Or, you could have moderated debates, etc.  And the list goes on...

     Of course, this would take a lot of work, and the diversification of the site, it would seem,
could only take place once the site was making money from the music part of the site.  However, my
thinking is that there is no reason why Gambian music, culture, etc., can't be made available and
marketed to the rest of the world.

     Just some suggestions, and perhaps this has already been thought of, but there's no reason
why people would not be able to put their heads together and make this happen.

Another thing, the site seems fairly accessible, I did not seem to have much trouble with it using
Jaws.  Thanks.

Ginny

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい