GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdoukarim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 04:54:26 -0700
Gambian are starving for political change but the million dollar question is how opposition parties can dictate such dynamism. The chances for united opposition is so remote and none are doing any efforts to challenge the rigging of electoral process which have just began first with the issuing of national identity and voter cards to NonGambians. Secondly the leadership of Independent Electoral Commission with their greed for position is not willing to listen to the concern raise by the opposition parties. Thirdly many of us who dream for the end of Yaya Jammeh's pornography of oppression come 2006, feel betrayed because of the fragility of the opposition which is not helping the struggle for the restoration of democracy in our country. The recent condition put forward by UDP/NRP coalition makes the situation more complicated and I wander whether it will even be possible for a strategic alliance to confront the common enemy.
  Yaya Jammeh is the most manipulative politician ever to emerge in the history of our country. He has destroyed the fabric of our society since he came into power in July 1994, collaborated with Sir Dawda Jawara and some element of PPP, Sheriff Dibba and some element of NCP, all in the name of unrealistic national reconciliation while implicating efforts for democracy. Since the coming of Yaya Jammeh into power the political playing field has never been level and is the opposition parties ready to remain under the same faisco, election after election? If they want to enhance a democratic change in our country, the opposition parties need to do their home work properly. It is not free and fair election that is elongating the corrupt and dictatorial rule of Yaya Jammeh. The opposition parties should know that it does not need academic research to know that the electoral process and election system in our country is fraudulent.
  Many of us think that the International community have forgotten the pledge of Gambians in Diaspora for a political change but I wander if that is the case. The internet discussion groups on Gambia and related matters such as Gambia-L, Gambia-Post, Bantaba, Sunu Gambia.com and the online news papers have been sincere in their advocacy role. The media has done effective service to damage the criminal regime. The Gambia community in the Diaspora have also done their bit in raising funds for the democracy project. At this moment what is needed is the opposition parties even with their divisive agenda and power struggle; they need to collate their strategies, to build on the momentum for people's power. I wander if that is possible with deep rooted antagonism among themselves, all in the name of liberating Gambian people from Yaya Jammeh's dehumanisation.
  The disunity within the opposition has further remote the course for the emanicipation of our people. Their indecisiveness and indifference to the plight of Gambian people and their wishes, epitomizes their wishful thinking, their ignorance, their unpatriotic and love for our fatherland. To sum up none is ready to see the Gambia first and foremost but rather blinded by their own naked ambitions and desire for power. To these Gambian politicians I say it better late than never. What is required is to cut shackle of chains to liberate the Gambians from this dictatorship and restire to its democractic credentials. You can never be effective force to challenge such a mercenary electoral commission and regime without diffusing viable programme for strategic alliance to restore democracy.