GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:13:31 EST
INTERVIEW WITH HALIFA SALLAH

“Where there are wrongs to be corrected to fold one’s arms
is to be an  accomplice”

FOROYAA: Many people want to know whether you are now to call it a day  since
you have failed to retain the seat?
Halifa: This is not a time for any  sovereign Gambian who treasures his/her
sovereignty to call it a day. Where  there is wrong to be made right those who
fold their arms to become mere  spectators are accomplices of a historical
aberration. I will never be found  guilty of abandoning the cause to build a
society that can guarantee  unrestrained liberty and sustainable prosperity to the
people. I will serve the  African people and humanity until I am caught by
the everlasting  sleeps.
FOROYAA: You are quoted to say that the 2007 National Assembly  elections
will be your last attempt to contest seats.
Halifa: What I have  said is my intention. I have made it clear that I am now
53 years. That my  desire is to serve one more term as National Assembly
member to accomplish what  I had set out to do at the level of the Pan African
Parliament.
I have also  said elsewhere that I am committed to serving one term as a
President if that is  the will of the NADD executive. On the other hand I had said
that if I fail to  retain my seat I will prefer to take the struggle for the
liberty and prosperity  into the world of knowledge production.
FOROYAA: Does this not mean that you  will leave politics for academia?
Halifa: For those of us who understand the  role of ideas representation in
history we see a link between knowledge and  practice in shaping human
civilization. The pursuit of knowledge is only  relevant if it is linked to its
translation into practice to build human  civilization. I have not said that I will
pursue knowledge exclusively and  abandon the struggle for enhanced liberty
and prosperity; on the contrary I wish  to prepare myself more to contribute to
the realization of the cause to make the  African people free and prosperous.
FOROYAA: Are you going to retain your  post as flag bearer.
Halifa: I will address a resignation letter to the NADD  Executive as a
matter of principle. It is for them to decide what is in the best  interest of NADD
and the country. I am at their service and that of the country.  I know what
I want to do as a person but I am willing to subject myself to their  service
and that of the country.
FOROYAA: Does this mean that if they want  you to continue you will abandon
academia?
Halifa: The two are not mutually  exclusive. In these five years I have every
opportunity to search for knowledge  and produce books for the benefit of the
people. Regardless of what the NADD  Executive decides I have all the time in
the world to achieve the aim of making  my contribution to academia for
posterity.
FOROYAA: It appears that you are  committed to politics for a life time.
Halifa: How the country is managed is  the concern of all people in the
Gambia. We are either representatives or are  represented. All of us should either
strive to be honest and mature  representatives or their electors.
FOROYAA: It is reported that the president  had said that his big mouthed
opponents had been removed from the National  Assembly. That such people used to
destroy his relations with the big powers in  the world. What do you say to
this?
Halifa: Who the cap fits let him wear it.  The Halifa Sallah I know is
respected at home and in Africa and the world.
I  will not debate on personal opinions. The President’s problem is not
Halifa  Sallah but how to guarantee liberty and prosperity to each Gambian. If I
were in  his position I will not be offended by critics but would infact respond
to every  criticism with policy initiatives to enhance liberty and
prosperity. This is the  type of democratic leadership Gambia, Africa and the world
need.