GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 17:36:00 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.92/2006, 27-29 October,  2006

Editorial
ETI NDANAAN VS FOROYAA
THE BEAUTY OF RESPECT FOR FREEDOM  OF EXPRESSION

Truth is foundation for peace, justice and development. Where there is no
truth there is no justice. Where there is no justice there is no peace. Where
there is no peace there can be no development. This is why all programmes on
radio and TV should be geared towards promoting the dissemination of truth.
Such  truth will bring the Gambian people together so that they can coexist in
peace.  Such coexistence in peace irrespective of political, tribal, religious
and other  diversity will enable us to guide our collective destiny towards our
collective  liberty and prosperity.
The sad thing about Eti Ndanaan is that they started  to promote for the
establishment of a one party state by calling on Gambians to  create an opposition
free National Assembly. This is a tragedy for any nation in  this era when
the whole world is moving towards the creation of parliaments that  can serve as
effective oversight to check the wrong doings and excesses of  government.
There is nothing wrong with Eti Ndanaan using airtime to educate  Gambians on
their rights to select their leaders at all levels under a climate  of peace and
respect.
However, they were entirely wrong to use airtime to  promote the election of
the candidates of a single party. This is what Foroyaa  objected to and will
continue to object to.
However, the Eti Ndanaan team  preferred to ignore this simple issue and went
to Ocean Bay Hotel to hold a  programme to insinuate that some people were
trying to discourage them from  showing the development projects in the country.
It is very important for the  people to be shown the development projects in
the country. In fact there is a  project monitoring committee at the National
Assembly led by the APRC Majority  Leader. If Eti Ndanaan wants to help the
Gambian people to monitor projects they  will appreciate it. This is what is
called social auditing. In fact, Eti Ndanaan  did not go very far in helping the
people to understand the true nature of the  investment in Ocean Bay Hotel. We
hope that they will start talking to the  stakeholders. For example, they
should have spoken to the Managing Director of  Social Security to see how they
get money and how much they have invested to  purchase and refurbish Ocean Bay.
They should have spoken to the contractors and  go room after room for them
to show how they spent 300 million dalasis to  refurbish Ocean Bay and what was
done with the materials they found there before  refurbishing it. They should
then talk to the management to find out how much  Ocean Bay gets annually as
profit and how much they pay back to Social Security  as dividend. They should
show how the hotel intends to pay back the pension  money of the workers that
has been used to purchase and refurbish it. Foroyaa  hope that Eti Ndanaan
group will understand the issues involved before engaging  in a one sided
debate. The issue is that money has been taken from the fund of  the workers
deposited with Social Security to buy and refurbish Ocean Bay Hotel.  If the 345
million dalasis is not paid back with speed some workers will one day  go for
their claims and will not get their money. Hence while it is good to own  a hotel
one must ask whether that was the most efficient way of investing the  workers
money. The arrangement is that if one is given the choice to invest 345
million dalasis to purchase groundnuts and receive the sum back in a year to
invest it to purchase a hotel which may take a decade to get back the  investment,
what would you do?
Development is about priorities. The debate is  not whether ownership of a
hotel is good or not. On the contrary, what is of  concern is the wisdom of
investing the workers’ money in areas, which takes a  long time to get returns.
Where is Senegambia Beach Hotel? It was partly owned  by government. Now all the
shares are sold.
Finally, we wish to call on the  team to bear in mind that Eti Ndanaan is
listened to by our neighbours. It  should not be a hostage to backbiting,
bickering and mediocrity. One of the  participants went as far as to narrate the
history of the creation of dogs. He  spoke a language that only dogs can
comprehend. I hope the GRTS management would  advice such people to know that they are
talking to Imams and priests as well as  their children.
Notwithstanding, the viewers of Eti Ndanaan should also bear  in mind that
people who speak over the media are brought up in different ways.  Some have
learnt the language of the beach and others the street. There are also  languages
of saints, philosophers and sages. Each is entitled to his or her  language.
None should be offended when some really show the type of environment  they
were brought up in by their language.

BUNJA DARBOE AND  CO
Wife and Doctor Testify
By Fabakary B. Ceesay and Abdoulie  Dibba

Mariama Bah, the wife of Captain Yaya Darboe, has testified in the ongoing
court martial at the Yundum Barracks on Saturday 21st October 2006.
Mrs.  Darboe told the court that when she first visited her husband after he
was  arrested, she found him with a swollen face. She said she then requested
for  Yaya to be taken to the hospital. She said there is a medic officer of
Mile (2)  called Wharf who told her that there was a vehicle to take Yaya for
treatment  but it does not have fuel. She said, she told Wharf that she could
fuel the  transport. She added that she was given a date. “On that particular
date, I met  Wharf at the gate and I gave him one hundred and fifty dalasis
(D150),” she  said.  She noted that she then boarded a taxi to Serrekunda Health
Centre.  She said she was later asked by Wharf that she should buy two (2)
lenses for her  husband, (short sighted lens and a distance one). She pointed out
that she was  then asked to pay one thousand nine hundred dalasis (D1,900) for
the two lenses.  She asserted that after paying the amount, she requested for
a receipt, but  Wharf told her she will be provided with a receipt later. She
lamented that she  never rested the receipt issue but Wharf always advised
her that it will be made  available to her later, which has never been the case.
She added that she even  reported the matter to her husband (Yaya) who
advised her to take it easy with  them. She said she had never received any receipt
from anybody concerning the  lens.
CROSS EXAMINATION BY DPP FAGBENLE
Fagnbele asked the witness whether  Yaya told her that he had made a
confession about the foiled coup and that  whether Captain Yaya had hidden certain
things from her. She said that since  their marriage seven (7) years ago, that
Yaya never hid anything from her and he  never informed her about any
confessionary statement. Fagnbele asked her whether  Yaya told her anything that
happened to him after his arrest. She replied that  when Yaya tried to explain how he
sustained the swollen eye, they all cried  together and Yaya told her to
leave everything in God’s hand. She said she later  left due to the time factor
given to her. Fagbenle told her that, she was just  trying to favour Captain
Yaya. Mariama said, “I am not lying because I am  fasting.”
TESTIMONY OF THE MEDICAL  OFFICER
Testifying before the court Martial on Thursday, a Medical Officer  told the
court that she is working at the Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital under  the
Eye Department. She acknowledged receiving a summon from the court that
morning and that she was required by the summon to bring the medical report of  one
Yahya Darboe. The Medical Officer recalled meeting Yahya Darboe on the 21st
of April at the Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital and that as a patient, Yahya
complained of pain on his left-eye due to trauma he sustained. The Medical
Officer acknowledged that Yahya’s left eye was red, the left eye-lid was torn
and the pupil of the left-eye was large as a result of the torn on the eye-lid.
 She told the court that she is the head of the Eye Department and that they
recorded the complaint lodged by the patient, their findings after the
examination of the patient, the treatment and finally the progress of the  patient.
She acknowledged having the record of Yahya Darboe in court. She
acknowledged that after the examination of Yahya’s vision, they discovered that,  he has
a poor vision on his left eye’ “6/60 on our terms.” She explained. She
pointed out that they treated the eye to improve but not the lens of the  left-eye.
So, we recommended glasses to improve Yahya’s left-eye’s vision. At  this
stage Counsel Borry Touray applied to tender the Medical Report of Yahya
Darboe. However, the Acting DPP Fagbenle objected to the tendering of the report  on
basis that the proper foundation for the tendering has not been laid. In his
ruling, Justice Agim ruled that the report be admitted as exhibit. During
cross  examination, the Medical Officer said that she has been working with the
Royal  Victoria Teaching Hospital for eleven months now. She told the court
that it is  not correct to say that she does not prepare the report. She admitted
that she  does not write the report but that she prepared it. She
acknowledged seeing many  of such patients. There was no re-examination.

RAMZIA DIAB  ARRESTED
By Abdoulie G. Dibba

Information reaching Foroyaa have it that the former nominated National
Assembly Member, Ramzia Diab has been arrested at her residence in Manjai Kunda
on Wednesday by plain cloth officers. When this reporter visited Ramzia Diab’s
residence on Thursday, a family member confirmed the arrest and detention of
Ramzia, but declined to comment on the matter. The former National Assembly
Member was arrested and detained after the foiled coup plot in  March.

DARBOE CRITICISES CHIEF JUSTICE
Bubacarr K. Sowe and  Modou Jonga

Ousainou Darboe, the leader of the United Democratic Party (UDP) has said
that the Chief Justice Abdou Karim Savage is either ignorant of the law, or
disregarded it or he has an extraneous reason for striking out his party’s
election petition.
Addressing a news conference in Banjul on Thursday, Mr.  Darboe said that his
case was set for mention and not hearing.
He said he was  not served on time. “You cannot strike out a case for lack of
diligent  prosecution, claiming to be sitting on an interlocutory application,
” Darboe  said.
He added that a panel of five judges needs to sit at the Supreme Court,
unless when it is an interlocutory application, where a single judge sits.
“What has happened is undermining and eroding the confidence the people
should have in the judiciary. This country is in a very sad moment, because a
judge should not know the law and disregard it,” he said.
He continued: “It  is either the judge was ignorant of the law or he knows
the law and disregarded  it or has some other extraneous reasons. I want to say
from here that the  reference to the matter being involving the President is
one of the  reasons.”
He also said that his lawyer withdrew from the  case.

GPTC MD DECLINES TO COMMENT
By Yaya Dampha

Modou Jagne, the Managing Director of Gambia Public Transport Corporation
(GPTC), has declined to comment on allegations levelled against him by some of
his staff. This reporter approached him on Wednesday 25th October, 2006 in
order  to get his reaction on an article that was published by Foroyaa.
Readers  could recall that Lawyer Edu Gomez had written to the Editors to
question the  motive for the publication and asked for an apology. The Editors
conducted  investigation and asked me to go back to Mr. Jagne to enable him to
express his  opinion for publication.
The information published was written by me as  allegations from his staff
after making genuine attempts to talk to Mr. Jagne  without success. The fact
that his deputy wrote to indicate that he had spoken  to me should confirm to my
editor that I made genuine attempts to talk to him in  good faith. I don’t
know why he does not want to talk to me in good faith so  that the truth is
known. I have tried before publication just as I have tried to  talk to him now.
Maybe the editors can send another reporter to confirm whether  Mr. Jagne is
willing to talk or not.
Editors
The reputation of Foroyaa is  primary. The paper has zero tolerance for
tribalism, nepotism, witch hunting and  sensationalism. It aims to publish the
truth in good faith in the public  interest. The paper is open to rejoinders to
clarify issues. It is also ready to  send reporters to enable anyone to clarify
any issue. We hope that we have  responded as responsible editors by taking
the reporter to task, raising doubts  regarding the report and giving the
aggrieved party a chance to clarify issues.  Mr. Jagne has the right to reply and an
opportunity to even question the  professionalism of any of our reporters.
This will help us to give any faulty  party better training.

NADD FLAG-BEARER ON THE ELECTION
PART 6

Why is it necessary for me to ask Gambians what type of sons and daughters
they want at this very juncture of our political history, that is, 46 years
after the introduction of universal suffrage, 41 years after the formal
declaration of independence and 36 years after the proclamation of the  Republican
status of The Gambia?
The reason for this is very simple. The  result of the 2006 Presidential
elections reveals a mixture of crying  contradictions. First and foremost, the
election itself is one of the pillars of  our Republican existence.
In short it signifies that each Gambian voter is a  sovereign person who has
the absolute authority to play an equal part in  determining who governs the
sovereign Republic of The Gambia.
Chapter 1  section 1 subsection (2) of the Constitution of The Gambia
captures this power  of the Gambian voters in the following words  “The sovereignty
of The  Gambia resides in the people of The Gambia from whom all organs of
govern derive  their authority and in whose name and for whose welfare and
prosperity the  powers of the government are to be exercised……….”
Each sovereign Gambian is  therefore a building block of the Sovereign People
of The Gambia. He or she  should have a national consciousness determined by
his/her realization of being  a Gambian social being.
In short, nationhood presupposes a national identity.  This national identity
emerges from national consciousness. Universal suffrage  emerged to give each
Gambian a vote to enable the collective will of Gambians to  be expressed
periodically in order to guide the collective destiny of the  Gambian people. It
means that each Gambian is empowered to vote not because one  is a member of a
family, tribe, ethnic group or religion but because one is a  citizen of the
nation. In a word, one is entitled to represent or be represented  because one
is a citizen of the nation.
Hence one should not ask to  represent or be represented on the basis of
family, tribal ethnic or religious  ties. Hence the type of son and daughter that
the sovereign Gambian people  should want is one with a national identity and
national consciousness, one who  is free from nepotism, tribalism, religious
bigotry or prejudices and has  developed virtues, values and attitudes that
enable all to take pride in having  him or her as the prime decision maker
capable of steering our state towards the  shores of liberty and prosperity.
In my view during the 2006 Presidential  election, each sovereign Gambian has
listen to the words and are fully aware of  the deeds of the Presidential
candidates. 277, 651 voters decided to abstain  from voting. Does this mean that
none of the candidates conveyed messages that  could promote the liberty and
prosperity of the people or had the credibility to  be worthy of trust. Does
this means that all the candidates were disliked by the  people? Why did they
abstain?
Secondly, I received the least votes. Does this  mean that the message I
delivered was inferior to that of the rest or that I was  rated the least credible
among the candidates or that I was the least  loved?
I kept on asking people these three fundamental questions and I kept  on
receiving answers that are diametrically opposed to the conclusions that the
results permit one to draw. People keep on telling me that my messages were
superb and that I stand unassailable in credibility; that many people have
affection for my type of politics. Do you now see why I assert that the results  of
the 2006 election reveals crying contradictions that needs to be unraveled if
one is to separate the grain from the chaff and map out a realistic way
forward.
Let me take Serrekunda Central which I represent in the National  Assembly as
seating MP, as a case study to unravel the contradictions in Gambian
politics.
The history of parliamentary elections since the birth of  AFPRC/APRC regime
reveals the following facts that I can draw lessons from.
In short, in 1997 Serrekunda Central was part of Serrekunda East. I stood as
a candidate for the Serrekunda East Constituency seat and had 8,528 votes,
UDP  had 8, 067 votes and APRC had 9, 575 votes.
In 2002 Serrekunda Central  Constituency did feature as a seat in the
National Assembly seat. I stood  against the APRC. The UDP boycotted the election. I
came up with 5,583 votes.  The APRC candidate had 5, 143 votes. I occupied the
seat.
In 2005, the seat  was declared vacant. I contested under NADD in a by
election held in September  2005. All parties were then part of NADD. I had 5,911
votes. The APRC had 3,984  votes. I occupied the seat again. In 2006 I stood as
a Presidential candidate.  As far as Serrekunda Central is concerned I had
2,142. Ousainou Darboe had 4,908  and Yahya Jammeh had 11,395. How are these
results to be interpreted? Does it  mean that the messages of the two other
candidates were considered by the people  in Serrekunda Central to be more
convincing than my own message? Are they more  credible than me? Do they appreciate the
other two candidates more than me?
I  have posed these questions to many voters in my constituency and their
answer to  all these question is in the negative.  Am I speaking to the wrong
people?  Can those who have affirmative answers write in the press or send word
to me  somehow. If reasonable people are of the view that my message was not
the least  convincing; that I was not the least credible and that I was not the
least loved  then common sense must beg the question: What grounds did the
people rely on to  vote or boycott the election.
A clear explanation is necessary to enable  people to assist me to determine
my present political weight and future  political fate.
A close study of the history of Presidential and  parliamentary elections in
Wuli provided me with the indication of what may have  actually happened in
Serrekunda Central.
In 1996, the results of the  Presidential election in Wuli Sidia Jatta, my
colleague behind Jammeh for the  APRC and Darboe for the UDP.
However, when it came to the parliamentary  elections, UDP’s Alhamdu Conteh
had 1,098 votes, APRC had 4,641 and Sidia Jatta  had 5,499 votes.
In short, the voters of Wuli rejected Sidia’s candidature as  a Presidential
candidate in 1996 and fovoured his candidature as a National  Member over the
APRC and UDP candidate in 1997.
This repeated itself in  2001/2002. In 2001 Sidia again stood as our
Presidential candidate. In Wuli West  he had the following votes: Sidia had 1,790,
Darboe had 2,553 and Jammeh had  2,174 respectively.
However when it came to the parliamentary election Sidia  stood in Wuli West.
The UDP boycotted the elections. Sidia had 3,405. The APRC  candidate had
3,056 votes. During the September 2005 by election Sidia had 3,430  while APRC
had 2,659 votes.
Two fundamental lessons can be drawn from the  Wuli experience.
It confirms that from 1996 to 2002 the voters in Wuli  subscribed to the
slogan “Darboe for President , Sidia for parliament.” Hence  their reason for not
voting for Sidia during the Presidential election cannot be  attributed to
lack of credibility either of his person or message but because of  the
circumstantial preferences of the voter at the time.
Could we say that  what is true for Wuli is also true for Serrekunda Central?
I will come to this  later.
The second fundamental lesson is that Wuli, the farthest territory  from the
coast on the North Bank of the Gambia has always proven to be a pace  setter
in Gambian politics, thanks to its vigorous grass root political  organisations
and their vibrant civic education culture.
In short, the trend  for supporting Darboe and UDP in Presidential elections
and Sidia in National  Assembly elections has changed.
In both the by election of September 2005 and  the Presidential election in
2006 Wuli has accepted NADD as its major opposition  party. NADD had more votes
than UDP in both Wuli West and East.
Hence Wuli  has now distinguished itself as the bridge head for the political
transformation  of The Gambia.
The question however arises: What is my political weight and  fate in Serreku
nda Central? I certainly will not dismiss the incalculable loss  in political
weight in the Presidential election and simply prophesy victory in  the
forthcoming parliamentary elections. I want to be sure of my political  relevance in
present day Gambian political climate. There is no doubt that both  Darboe
and my very self need to interrogate the facts and come up with  irrefutable
answers.
In short, how can one explain the difference between  5,911 votes I had
during the by election in 2005 and the 2182 I had in the  2006Presidential election
in Serrekunda Central? In the same vein, how can one  explain the drop in
Darboe’s votes as a Presidential candidate from 7,764 in the  2001 election to
4,908 votes in 2006.
In my case, the revelations are  becoming pervasive. Take the example of a
young boy who lives in the  neighbourhood where I have my office. Most of these
families draw water from our  office tap. Their children study IT free of
charge from the centre. Their little  children benefit from our recreational
services. They benefit from our  counseling. When he came to our office with an
APRC T-shirt he was asked  jokingly whether he had abandoned NADD for the APRC.
He explained in an innocent  manner that his father and mother have promised
that they will vote for APRC for  the Presidency and for me for the National
Assembly. He added that his parents  think that I will make a good President in
the future. The mentality of pushing  my votes to the future is ironically
corroborated by a NADD polling agent in  Banjul who came to me after the election
to say that before he was approached to  be a polling agent he had given his
word to Marie Dalia, an APRC councillor and  mobiliser that he will vote for
Yahya in this election for the last time but  will become committed to NADD from
henceforth. I mention the name to give  authenticity to the story. Amazing
honesty and political innocence, isn’t  it?
The third scenario is the case of a visually impaired young man in
Serrekunda Central who told me that he could not understand some of his peers  who
tried to convince him that he should vote for Darboe for the presidential
election and for Halifa for national Assembly. He indicated that when he argued  that
they should vote on the basis of the messages they have heard and the
credibility of the candidates they scolded him of being a NADD fanatic. He  lamented
that some people in the constituency were fanatically being motivated  to
vote on the basis of tribe. He said he has warned his peers that they were
making a terrible mistake in allowing some people to mobilize them on the basis  of
tribe.
Another case study is that of a supporter of NADD who came to the
headquarters to explain that some people who wanted to vote for NADD told him  that they
will vote for the UDP after they saw their convoy from Brikama. Unlike  the
UDP who stayed in Brikama to organize a big convoy to enter the KMC area  NADD
was met by a big crowd in Brikama but did not see the merit of staying in
Brikama because of the rain and mobilised a huge force from KMC and Western
division to enter the KMC the following day.
Hence NADD’s political weight  could not be seen in the Western Division and
KMC area. What is evident from the  results of the election in Serrekunda
Central is that crowds during rallies are  not automatically translated into votes.
In short, the UDP had one of its  biggest meetings in Serrekunda Central but
Darboe’s vote went down by more than  2800 votes in 2006 when compared to the
2001 Presidential elections. In spite of  this fact, the lesson is however
clear that the size of crowds are ways and  means of convincing some voters that
a particular party or candidate is going to  win. The desire to be on the
winning side can lead them to shift  loyalty.
What then are the lessons to be drawn from the studies and from the  focus
group discussions I held with people to explain why NADD had the votes it  had.
What is my decision? What is the decision of the NADD? What is the way
forward for the opposition in The Gambia?

IRREGULARITIES DURING  POLLING
By Joseph Sirjo

As the people of this nation exercise their right again by going to the
polls to select a leader who will be entrusted with the affairs of the nation  for
the next  five years, there have been irregularities in some parts of  the
country that have marred the process. This reporter visited four polling
stations to gather information in the national interest. At polling station B83A  at
Serrekunda School he met representatives of various parties and asked them if
 the polls went on well. The NADD agent immediately began by spelling out her
 objection why the APRC polling agents were being allowed by the IEC
officials to  have a list which was referred to as a supplementary list. According to
her the  APRC agents used this so called supplementary list to fish out names
that did  not appear in the main register. She claimed that one hundred and
six (106)  people were allowed to vote through their supplementary list. Another
lady by  the name Oumo at B83 polling station also at Serrekunda Lower Basic
School, who  also questioned the legality of the supplementary list by the
APRC agents there,  noted that one hundred and fifty (150 people were also
allowed to vote through  this paper.
Another issue, which they described as total disregard for the  electoral
laws, is the presence of the Alkalo of Serrekunda, Seedy Jobe, and  other Yai
compins at the Serrekunda School premises which had two polling  stations. The
agents described this as an act to influence voters. The IEC  officials whom
this reporter managed to speak to declined to give any  information, noting they
were not mandated to talk to the press.
At B85A  polling station where former plaza cinema was locked the party
agents where seen  boarding a vehicle different from the one carrying their ballot
boxes.
At  Kololi, the Alkalo was seen camping not more than two hundred metres away
from a  polling station brewing “ataya.” As voters passed him he bombarded
them with  greetings and told them in Mandinka and Wollof that they should put
it right  inside. The agents allege that these actions of the Alkalo and his
associates  contravened the election laws. Reports have it that at another
polling station  Rasta Garden, Kololi at where there was no NADD representative
numerous of  soldiers were seen around the vicinity and inside the polling
stations were they  were met by other people and a quarrel broke out.  The people
this reporter  spoke to complained bitterly, describing the soldiers’ presence
as “an intent to  harass and intimidate voters.
Other things this reporter sighted in most  polling stations he visited were
the high number of voter apathy and the  presence of “ill experienced”
polling agents for the various parties especially  that of NADD and the UDP/NRP/GPDP.
At the Serrekunda East Mini Stadium where  the IEC had one of its counting
centres and Serrekunda West a lot of  discontentment was manifested due to the
presence of security personnel in very  large numbers on every nearby street.
Another thing was the lack of proper  mobility for the IEC. Binta Colley, an
Agent of NADD at B104 polling station  Kololi Mosque A said they were left all
by themselves until she had to call the  IEC office to ‘remind them to come and
pick them up as it was three hours since  the official closing time and they
were still not picked up.” She said they were  picked up at 12 midnight.
Mr. LB. Bojang, an IEC presiding officer at  Serrekunda East Mini Stadium
harped on the commission’s unreliability and urged  it to fulfill its promise to
pay each officer on time instead of asking them to  wait until the following
day. Another officer who spoke on anonymity said they  were contracted for four
days at a tune of 150 dalasis per day and 125 for  assistant presiding
officers “but now that it is time for us to be paid they  have started telling us
all sorts of stories.”
This reporter contacted the  IEC for their reaction. However, the Chief
Electoral Officer declined to  comment, noting that this happened a month ago.

REPORTER’S CASE  SUFFER ANOTHER SETBACK
By Sarjo Camara Singhateh

The criminal case involving Lamin Fatty and the state is deferred by the
Kanifing Magistrate Court. Lamin Fatty of the Independent Newspaper is charged
with false publication by the state.
The case was not called on Wednesday  despite the fact that Lamin Fatty was
in court.
Fatty was arrested and  detained at the NIA headquarters in Banjul shortly
after the foiled coup  plot.

COUNCILOR JATTA STILL DETAINED
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay

“Ousman Jatta, alias Rambo, is still in detention,” said Dudu Kassa Jaata
(the brother of the detainee). “He was recently granted bail by Justice
Monageng  of the Banjul High court, but he is still detained,” claimed Kassa.
According  to Kassa, the Attorney General’s Chambers and the Department of
State for  Interior were all served with the court’s order. Kassa said members
of the Jatta  kunda clan are very concerned about the whereabouts of Ousman
Jatta. “They are  concerned about his health condition,” Kassa said. Ousman’s
health may  debilitate, if he is detained in a poor condition. Kassa added that,
Rambo is a  responsible person and a family man, “a legitimately elected
councilor of Bakau  Ward.”

TREASON TRIAL DEFERRED
DUE TO UNAVAILABILITY OF  RECORDS
By Bubacarr K. Sowe

The treason trial involving Tamsir Jassey, Alieu Jobe, Omar Keita and Hon.
Demba Dem was on Wednesday adjourned by the High Court till the 1st Of
November.
The Presiding Judge, Justice Avril Anin-Yaboah said the records of  the
proceedings are not available to the defence counsels and so deferred the  trial.
However, in a previous hearing, one of the defence counsels objected  to the
continuation of the trial on grounds that the testimony of the first
Prosecution witness, Capt. Seckan was not available to them.
It could be  recall that two of the defence counsels, Lamin S. Camara and
Lamin Jobarteh  withdrew from the case when it was being presided over by Justice
Agim. The duo  have announced re-representation for their clients.
The quartets are standing  trial for their alleged involvement in the March
21st abortive Coup  d’etat.