GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:52:10 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 017/2007, 12-13 February,  2007

Editorial
A SECOND ADVICE ON HIV/AIDS TREATMENT IN THE GAMBIA
Foroyaa  first raised the question: Has a cure for HIV/Aids been found or are
those  living with HIV/AIDS being assisted to cope with the illness through
good  nutrition, control of opportunistic infections; elimination of stigma and
better  environmental and psychological conditions? We called for clinical
tests to be  done.
Dr Mbowe told GRTS that clinical tests have been done and that the  results
of the viral loads have been received since 4th February 2007. According  to
him, 9 people infected with HIV/AIDS had gone through the treatment. He
indicated that five people have undetectable viral load, one patient has  moderate
viral load and three patients have high viral loads.
Apparently, Dr.  Mbowe is convinced that HIV/AIDS now has a cure. Infact, the
treatment is  continuing.
The issue of HIV/AIDS cure is a scientific one. It is  irresponsible for us
to merely give opinions. What is of profound importance is  a scientific
opinion.
Since, the world community maintains that there is no  cure, the WHO has a
duty to act with speed to set up a committee of relevant  medical scientists to
come to the Gambia to take part in the investigation and  then inform the
world community whether  a cure for HIV/AIDS have been  found. Any delay in
setting up such a committee of scientists would be a sign of  irresponsibility and
insensitiveness to the plight of those living with HIV/AIDS  in The Gambia, in
particular and the international community, at large.
The  moment to act is now not later. The debate on international radio should
be  followed by scientific enquiry which is the only method appropriate to
validate  or invalidate a scientific phenomenon.

SIDIA JATTA AND  THE C. J. AT THE N/A
GONE ARE THE DAYS OF IMPUNITY

The Chief Justice took his seat to preside over the election of speaker.
Section 99 of the constitution dissolved parliament a day before the first
session. Hence there was no speaker or deputy speaker.
The constitution made  it a requirement for the speaker and deputy speaker to
be elected before any  business is conducted during the first sitting. The
Chief Justice is empowered  to preside over the election of the speaker before
he/she hands over to the  elected speaker. The constitution makes it a
requirement for the speaker and  deputy speaker to be elected from those nominated to
be members of parliament.  To select a speaker, the standing orders of the
National Assembly calls for four  procedures to be followed.
First and foremost there must be a proposal made  by a member of parliament
that a particular nominated member be elected.
Secondly, the person must have a motion that the person he or she proposes
take the chair as speaker or deputy speaker.
Thirdly, the proposal and motion  must be seconded.
Furthermore, if another person is proposed and the motion  for him/her to
become speaker seconded, the Chief Justice shall cause the  Independent Electoral
Commission to conduct election. If only one person is  proposed and seconded
he/she shall be automatically called upon to take the  chair of speaker.
The Bantaba Syndrom at the Assembly
The main problem of  the opening session is the partisan nature of the
gallery. The gallery did not  give the National Assembly the quietness and serenity
it called for in standing  order 40. Standing order 40 is categorical in
asserting that “Clapping shall not  be permitted in the Assembly.” Hence Hon.
Tombong Jatta rose to nominate Hon.  Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay to be speaker there
was uproar from the gallery. Sidia  Jatta rose to object to the uproar and
further referred to standing order 2  paragraph 3 as the procedure to be
followed. He also pointed out that the  nomination of Hon. Jahumpa had taken place
even before the sitting.
The  Chief Justice expressed his agreement but added that the failure to
adhere to  the procedure to the letter did not make the process fatal.
In her address  she mentioned that the days of impunity are gone. In this
regard we must ask:  Will the partisan character of the gallery continue? Will
the executive continue  to make decisions that the National assembly is
exclusively empowered to make?  Will the praise singing continue in the National
assembly? Will GRTS continue to  focus on the MPs of the majority as it did during
the first session? The future  will tell whether the days of impunity are
gone.

MEDIA COVERAGE OF  N/A ELECTIONS UNDER THE MICROSCOPE
By Amie Sanneh
The Gambia Press Union  (GPU) has called on the Independent Electoral
Commission (IEC) to encourage the  private media to take a more proactive role in
covering elections, especially  during campaign periods. GPU also urged IEC to
remind GRTS of its duty to be  fair and equal to all parties as stated in the
Elections Decree.
The call is  contained in a 34 page report on the media monitoring exercise
of the 25th  January 2007 National Assembly Elections which was presented last
Friday at the  National Nutrition Agency (NaNA) Conference Hall.
The report of the findings  indicates that GRTS engaged in bias reporting and
coverage during the campaign  period, as well as during newscast in favour of
the ruling APRC candidates. “The  APRC had a whopping 10,980 seconds airtime
during newscast thus giving them an  overwhelming time advantage as opposed to
the UDP 600 seconds and NADD 60  seconds. No mention was made of the NRP
candidates or party during the news,” it  states. The report further indicated
that the calls to “vote for APRC” were  repeatedly aired on GRTS during
newscast. This, the report stated, could be  interpreted as undue advantage to the
APRC Party. However, the report’s findings  indicated that there was no negative
presentation of any party on the state  medium. The report nevertheless
pointed out that GRTS Television gave APRC an  edge over the opposition in terms of
air time space as APRC stories had footages  whereas all news items relating
to the other parties/ independent candidates  were mainly press releases and
none had a positive story. It was either an  arrest or remand in the case of the
UDP and the withdrawal of candidature for  independent candidates.
According to the report, newspapers play a greater  role than electronic
media as they serve as a better outlet in terms of coverage  of political parties.
Notwithstanding, the report pointed out that only Foroyaa  and The Point
covered report on all political parties. The Daily Observer  clearly showed its
slant towards the APRC, (a) by publishing a greater number of  positive stories
and (b) by featuring all other parities negatively. The report  however
indicated that although Foroyaa interviewed candidates from all parties,  the report
said that the number of interviews are not reflective of the number  of
candidates per party. There is a favourable slant towards NADD candidates the
report added. The Point, the report mentioned, is the only paper which sought
both sides of the story in articles regarding the UDP. On the side of Daily
Express, the report singled it out as the only paper which carried a reflective
post election based on statements that were made prior to the elections. “It
should also be noted that articles on the opposition or Independent candidates
were not carried during this period. Coverage was only limited to the APRC,”
it  stated. It also blamed the Media houses for not engaging in voter’s voice
reporting and the under representation of youth activities in relation to the
 elections. “Violence was contained in the few assault cases and arrests,
detention of candidates and their supporters. Very little investigative
journalism was reflected in the findings,” states the report. The findings of  the
report, among many, recommends to the IEC to set up a group of eminent  persons
as proposed in the IEC’s media rules. This, the report believes, could  allay
fears of prosecution and intimidation of the private media and still  enable
media practitioners to abide by the Elections Decree.
The report also  recommends for the IEC to encourage respect for the Media
Code of conduct drawn  up in September 2006 by Media practitioners and the IEC.
It recommends for the  encouragement on the use of the right of reply
especially during the blackout  period, based on a broad consultation with all
stakeholders in order to avoid  political exploitation from all political parties
while ensuring the right of  reply in a timely fashion. The report further
recommends the IEC to work with  the GPU, media houses and other institutions to
broaden the scope of Media Rules  and together come up with a penalty system
where Media houses fail to comply  with these rules.
The private media, the report added, should take a more  proactive role in
the coverage of elections and local governance by making  maximum use of
training supported by the IEC, GPU and other partners.
Finally, the report recommends for the training of journalists in elections
reporting to be encouraged or supported.

STAFF OF DoSA YET TO BE  PAID
Staff of the Livestock Department under the State Department of  Agriculture
are yet to be paid their January Salaries.
According to the staff  who spoke to this reporter, they used to receive
their monthly salaries before  the end of the month but this time around, they are
yet to receive their  salaries and have not received any explanation.
According to them they cannot  say what is responsible for the delay of their payment
of salaries but that they  suspected that it is caused by the re-structuring
of the Department of State for  Agriculture.
When this reporter contacted DoSA for comment, he was told that  the SoS was
on a meeting and that when the Permanent Secretary was also  contacted, he
(PS) said he was on a meeting but promised to call this reporter  on his mobile
after the meeting. When this reporter called the following day  Thursday to
find out, he was told that the Permanent Secretary had gone on trek  and that the
Secretary of State at a cabinet meeting. Foroyaa would publish  their
comments, once we get in touch with the DoSA.

COURT  ORDERS LAWYER’S ARREST
By Bubacarr K. Sowe & Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
The Bundung Magistrates Court on Friday the 9th February 2007  issued an
arrest warrant for Lawyer Emmanuel Chime and Kemo Balajo. This arose,  when Lamin
Ceesay, counsel for Graham Kith applied for the arrest of Messrs  Chime and
Balajo. Graham Kith testified in court that he had paid 1,000 pounds  sterling
to Mr. Chime as legal fees and also deposited 188, 000 dalasi for the  process
of business registration and documents. He said he later noticed, that  only
145,000 dalasi was accounted for.
The plaintiff stated that after  writing to Chime, he (Chime) replied that he
had done the job for him. Kith also  said one man came to him and identified
himself as Kemo Balajo, from the  President’s Office, asking him to surrender
his business documents. Kith said he  had asked Balajo to prove his identity,
but Balajo showed him a card which he  doubted because as he said he was not
sure whether the picture was a true  representaion of Balajo.
Handing down the order on Friday, Magistrate Moses  Richards said that the
court is satisfied that the acts complained against  Emmanuel Chime and Kemo
Balajo amount to criminal acts. Mr. Richards accordingly  ordered the immediate
arrest of the duo, with a view to investigating and  preferring criminal
charges against them.

COMMODITY PRICES AT  SERREKUNDA MARKET
By Isatou  Bittaye
ITEM                                             CURRENT  PRICE
              February 2006
Rice per  bag                              D540.00 -  D585.00
                   D420.00
Rice per  cup                              D3.00
                          D2.25
Tomato per  spoon                      D1.50
                      D1.00
Tomato per 400g  tin                   D20.00
                      D15.00
Tomato per 830g  tin                   D35.00
                      D30.00
Fresh tomatoes per measure      D5.00
                D2.00
Onion per  bag                  D510.00
           D260.00                   Onion per  measure
D5.00                                                      D2.00
Cooking oil container 10 litres       D250.00
            D275.00
Cooking oil container 5 litres        D150.00
            D150.00
Cooking oil per  cup                   D5.00
                    D5.00
Palm oil per  cup                         D8.00-D10.00
              D10.00
Pepper per  measure                 D5.00
             D2.00
Bonga                                      D5.00
                    D5.00
Joto                                        D20.00
                    D10.00
Catfish                                  D25.00
                 D10.00
Chicken per  carton                 D400.00
           D400.00
Chicken per  leg                    D15.00
            D15.00
Sugar per  bag                     D725.00
          D450.00
Sugar per  cup                  D5.00
                     D5.00
Meat beef and  bone           D75.00
       D65.00
Meat beef  steak              D90.00
       D90.00
Flour per  kilo                  D15.00
          D15.00
Flour per  bag                D550.00
      D500.00

FOCUS ON THE POLITICAL SITUATION IN THE GAMBIA
By Suwaibou  Touray
In this colomn, we will be engaging in rewriting the history of the  Gambia
from pre- independence to the attainment of independence from British  Colonial
rule.
We will begin with our history, precisely because we feel  that our
youngsters are not genuinely informed about our history in the  established
institutions of learning. This column is needed to raise the  awareness of the people on
the political situation. It will also help to compare  our system with others
to see how we can advance or develop ours. The colomn  will also aim at giving
as much information to our readers with a view to  helping create what we
would call “critical view of our body politic.”
The  column, as I said, will begin from what is considered to be the lowest
level and  climb steadily on to a higher ladder even to the stage of political
ideology,  etc. This is important because many people are influenced by
political ideology  but they may not knowingly subscribe to it or may unconsciously
absorb it for it  is part of the opinion received at the time. So we will also
inform our readers  on the salient provisions of our constitution relating to
our political system  and make an attempt to critique where necessary. For
example, constitutions may  bar or out law political violence which is logical
to many people but observing  it closely, political theory may also ask if
justification might not be advanced  depending on the circumstance, or even what
sort of violence.
Again for  example, South Africa under Apartheid denied the majority the
freedom to state  their case, and that denial had been authenticated by the
constitution and other  laws. So should the oppressed majority or even the oppressed
minority denied the  freedoms not have a justification to use violence
depending on the sort of  violence and against whom it is directed? So as you can
see, only political  ideas can help us to have practical answers to such
questions. Politics and  political ideas free us to think critically. It also helps
us to speculate about  the future otherwise we are instead trapped into
describing what exists as if  what exists never changed.
Our people need knowledge. Our people also need  information, and as a small
country, the only weapon, it seems, that is at our  disposal against the
political economic, military network comprising states and  of course the global
economy is perhaps information and intelligence. Genuine  political awareness
will generate the required information and intelligence  necessary to make us
more defensive and even skeptical of the justifications of  the system which we
have complied with and to make us to even search for  alternative political
and social systems.
We must reach that level of  political awareness to have the continued
success of our system or otherwise  change it if that is what suits us. We want to
make the column interesting and  stimulating for readers. This is why we will
be inviting readers to make  contributions. Let readers get ready and write to
even debate issues as well as  ask questions. That is what will help us learn
together and ultimately not only  will it inspire us but also energize us to
practically participate in the  decision making process of our democratic
dispensation, which is relatively very  young compared to many other countries.
Because of the low level of political  awareness all mainly due to two reasons;
Illiteracy and the fact that our  nationhood is relatively young, the spirit
of Nationalism is extremely low among  the elites and some time almost absent
among the masses of our people. This is  precisely what is responsible for
politicians reverting to tribalism,  sectionalism and age old differences to
rekindle the sentiment of the  electorates, in the political process for their
selfish interests. This is why  only a systematic and painstaking effort will in
the long run uplift us to a  genuine democratic transition. See next issue, “
Gambia before  nationhood.”
See next issue on Gambia’s Political History.

WHO  WE ARE
OKO EXPLAINS
We have now come to the final party of the exclusive  interview that Oko
Drammeh granted to Ousman Sillah which touched on a lot of  issues regarding music
in The Gambia. It began with the genesis of organised  band music spanning
for more than four decades now. In the last issue, Oko  expounded on the
statement. ‘Home Is Where The Music Is’, as he, himself, puts  it. Now he will be
dwelling on the issue ‘Who We Are’ and why and how we should  celebrate and
revitalize our music.
Foroyaa: How do you intend to support the  artists?
Oko Drammeh: I can be present in The Gambia and will be willing to  repeat
the formula of success that we have in place. That is the quality of
performance must improve. There are many Gambian musicians who know too many  musical
instruments and have experience. But, they only know it halfway. With  other art
works also, like carving and painting, they know how to do it but they
cannot make the definitive use of the upper level of the Art. Here you need
professional training and education and The Gambians can supply that. Like in
England, USA and Senegal, they make use of the elderly professionals and the
experienced traditional and cultural individuals by integrating them in the  Radio,
Television and the ministry and state agencies of culture, the media and  all
the way to the international level.
To engage and to make good use of  these talents help the country to generate
resources that can be utilised to  build the right institutions.
It is very speculative to talk about a music  school with fanciful buildings,
air conditioned rooms just for the  music.
There should be no reservation for culture. The lives of the people  who live
in this country and toil and make it what it is, are yearning for a  total
make-over of the present Gambian scene and policy in a new approach called  the
Renaissance.
God has given us a history in music and arts. It is in the  books. We have
living legends like Bai Ebrahima Janha who is admired by many  American guitar
players including the number one Jazz guitarist Eric Gale. Bai  Janha was the
spark of the fusion of Gambian music that created the sound of  Guelewarr.
There was fierce competition between Guelewarr and Ifang Bondi.  This
competition involved every aspect of our society and even the government of  the day
was involved in taking sides.
The greatest music compositions,  arrangements, vocal purity and big band
formation with backing vocals and  singing groups in two, threes and fours were
produced by the Super Eagles with  Ousu Njie Senor, Pa Touray and Edu Hafner.
These were one of the greatest trio  singers on the African continent. Whilst
people were making noise in Ghana and  other places, the world was singing
about the ‘Golden Trio’, Bai Janha was  perfecting the sound that produced Musa
Ngum, Abdel Kabir alias Lie Ngum, Mboge  and Alas Sissoho. During this period
many Gambian youths were musically talented  because it was a time when one can
buy a box guitar in the shops or to even  build one for yourself. The guy who
successfully build his own guitar and  perfected it to professional standard
and later joined the Super Eagles was  Francis Taylor, otherwise Seneme
Taylor, better still, his Ifang Bondi name,  Kunon Jarjutay. Seneme is the genius in
The Gambia, the jewel in the crown. He  is our Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart or our
Ludwig Von Beethoven.
Foroyaa: What can  the country do with these great musician?
Oko Drammeh: The Gambia is obliged  to treasure and honour Seneme, Bai Janha,
Badou Jobe, Ousu Njie Senor, whilst  they are alive. These musicians are
Teachers, Masters and Scholars.
I can  testify to my professional experience and knowledge that these people
are at the  level of great composers like Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder Elton
John, etc. Out  of these musicians came many Gambians bands, like the Maga Dan
Band, the ‘Kanku  Jerri Band’, the Wild Cats, the Lover’s Band, Oliver and the
Chuckets and the  ‘Bag of Fames Band’.
Whenever I walk around in Senegal, I am always asked and  encouraged by many
musicians, like Youssou Ndour, Sheikh Tijan Taal, a great  composer of the
great ‘Xalam’ band de Dakar, and other music veterans to work  for the revival
of the music scene and the trendy styles and mode of fashion  that used to fill
the air of The Gambia. Many musicians who visited The Gambia  at that time
would always talk about that period as the ‘Golden Days’.
I  would therefore encourage anybody who is playing any kind of music or
instrument  to continue with it. I myself do like and appreciate every type of
music. The  Gambia needs a ‘Cultural Revolution’ that will put music in the
forefront as a  marketing tool for this country that will bring about festivals.
Foroyaa: Can  you give us the names of these musicians who rendered cultural
service to this  country?
Oko Drammeh: The Gambia had produced a long list of musical legends,  some of
whom have left us whilst others are still around. All these musical  artists
need to be remembered and honoured as true cultural servants. They have
rendered adequate cultural service to The Gambia. These legends include those  who
have already passed away in the likes of” Paps Touray ‘Abess’, Malang
Gassama ‘Malando’, Ali Harb ‘Alberr’, Pa Musa Njie ‘Pa Njie Base’, Modou Cham,
Ebrima Jallow ‘Cock’, Oussu Lion Njie, Adama Sallah, Abdoulie Sallah, Njok
Malick Njie (bass guitarist), Ousman Kumba Sosseh ‘Cheks’, Adama Nying ‘Gra
Leese,’ Jimmy Coron, James Eagleton. Baboucarr Fofana ‘Enterr’, and many
others.  May their souls rest in perfect peace.
In the same breath, God has gifted us  with these living legends in the
persons of the genius, Seneme Taylor, Ousu Njie  Senor, the master guitarist; Bai
Janha, Abdul Kabir ‘Lie Ngum’, Musa Ngum,  Karamoko Sabally, Samson Gassama,
Pa Alieu Njie (Drums), Musa Njie (guitarist),  Ousman Beyai, Sankung Jobarteh,
Sogi Sock, John Campbell, Ebou Touray, Edu  Hafner, Boy Njie, Ba Jow Ngum, Cha
Boy Campbell, Pa Boy Cole, Blell, etc. it  would be fitting to celebrate
these artists and The Gambia in festivals to  commemorate our national
independence days and involving our musicians. This  will help in putting Gambian
musicians on the world map.
Foroyaa: What are  your plans?
Oko Drammeh: I intend to organise an International Arts Festival  Week
involving all works of Arts, historic, modern or contemporary and with the
objective of putting Gambian music on the world map. Every Gambian musician will  be
given the chance to show yourself and your talents. Seminars and conferences
will also be organised in due course to enable artists to interact and
elaborate  on issues surrounding the Art and how to strengthen it. Later, classes will
also  be convened to engage the veterans to teach the young musicians about
the  technical details of music, such as, instruments, language chords, notes,
etc.These initiatives for education and training need the involvement of the
state.
I will also be encouraging the production of Arts and musical  recordings as
well as Television exposure for each and every Gambian artist and  gathering.
Artists will follow the products and news items made on their  behalf.
A catalogue of musicians and their productions will be established.  This
catalogue is the passport and with it Gambian artists will be covered by  the
copyright laws which will be able to generate funds for individual artists  to
support their livelihoods.
Another important thing is that Radio Gambia is  a ‘Treasure Trove’ of
Gambian music. Radio Gambia has all the recordings of  every song and musical beat
produced in this country. Unfortunately this  treasure is in tapes that cannot
be perpetually preserved. The national Radio’s  archive is the cradle and
embodiment of the rich history and rhythm of the  nation. The works of Lalo Kebba
Drammeh, Sunjulu Sissoho, Abdoulie Samba, Jabel  Samba, Marie Samyol Njie,
Yamundow Jobe, Fatou Joof, Buteh Boy, Boy Touray (Riti  player) Fabala and Banna
Kanuteh, Sana Beyai and Abibou Manneh are all in tapes.  The list of talented
artists is in exhaustive.
However, if I am given the  chance, I can help in preserving and making good
use of them for the benefit of  the nation and artists.
Foroyaa: Finally, Oko, can you tell our readers about  Sotokoto?
Oko Drammeh: Sotokoto Music Company was founded in Amsterdam and  later moved
to America in California in 1990. Up to today, Sotokoto is a  recording
company but also very active in other areas of arts as well. The  Sotokoto band is
a session band of African Americans, Africans and other blacks  in the
diaspora who joined hands with the American musicians to make a new  sound. This was
my idea and the company is mine. It is with the same company  that I recorded
the late legendary Paps Touray, the great Abdel Kabir, and the  maestro Jaliba
Kuyateh. I am planning a tour to the US with a cast of Gambian  musical
Superstars, which will include, if God wills, Bai Janha, Ousman Beyai,  Sankung
Jobarteh, Kebba Taylor, Nyaw Nying ‘Drums’, Karamo Sabally and other  European
and American Artists featuring the top Gambian singing stars like Musa  Ngum,
Jaliba Kuyateh and Mawdo Sey. This is a selection I have in mind to coach  and
to present in my next Sotokoto production to represent The Gambia. Gambians
abroad are going to have the opportunity to see musical theatrical performances
 in cities across Europe and America. The objective is to engage Gambian
communities around the world to set the stage for a ‘Cultural Night of Gambian
Pride’ showcasing to the world our history, our folklore, our ethnical values,
as well as songs and dances of our lives as Gambians. Something we cherished
so  holy and my mother and my father cherished so holy, as well as every grain
of  sand that we walk on which is nothing more than the bones and blood of
our  ancestors. The Gambians in the diaspora have to take pride and ownership of
 these events.
The performance of a Gambian cast at a cultural event depicting  Gambian
history that include Kunta Kinteh and Gambia’s role in African history  is a
living historical moment to be performed by our artists as a gift to the  world. We
will visit every community and try to arrange a performance that will  be
remarkable and truly Gambian. It is our desire and we expect every Gambian to
take ownership of these cultural presentations.
Foroyaa: Mr. Oko Drammeh  thank you very much for granting us this exclusive
and quite interesting  interview.
Oko Drammeh: It’s a real pleasure to share my thoughts with  Foroyaa for the
benefit of
my compatriot Gambians.

NB: Ousman  Sillah hopes that this interview will generate the positive
effect that we  intend the discourse to have by helping us to re-focus and muster
the necessary  efforts for the ‘Cultural Rebirth’. The Foroyaa will continue
to talk to those  who may have something relevant to say or do in the pursuit
of building a robust  cultural identity for Gambian music and that will make it
earn dividend for  Gambian Musicians.

Chief Musa Sanyang Nominated National Assembly  Member Replaced
The announcement made by the Department of State for Foreign  Affairs that
the Chief of Foni Berefet, Seyfo Bala Musa Sanyang had been  appointed as a
nominated member of the National Assembly was published by  Foroyaa with words of
caution that he could not be Chief and member of the  National assembly at the
same time. Interestingly enough, Chief Bala Musa  Sanyang is dropped. Hon…
Abdoulie Bojang is nominated in his place instead.
To save the government from any further embarrassment, such decisions should
be done in consultation with the principal legal adviser of the government,
the  Attorney General and Secretary of State for Justice.
Our reporter  however met chief Bala Musa Sanyang at his residence in
Ndemban, Foni Berefet  and asked him why he was not present during the swearing in
ceremony at the  National Assembly knowing that he was nominated as a National
Assembly member by  the President, Chief Sanyang said that looking at the
option of being a chief or  a National Assembly member, he preferred to remain as
Chief, because as he said  the chieftaincy has a longer term than that of the
National Assembly., provided  that one is not corrupt or has not abused one’s
office. Chief Sanyang however  said he appreciated the President’s good gesture
and thanked him for nominating  him as a National Assembly member.

RVTH X-RAY MACHINE  BREAKDOWN
The only National X-ray Machine at Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital  (RVTH)
has a major breakdown since last week.
The breakdown has seriously  affected lives of patients who need the service
at the hospital.
According to  patients who spoke to this reporter, they have been waiting to
be x-rayed for  many days now and anytime they go to the hospital or call
their doctors, they  are told that the x-ray machine is still not good. Another
patient told me that  he had decided to go to West Field Clinic where he paid
over six hundred dalasis  (D600.00) on x-ray alone.
Efforts to speak to the hospital authorities proved  futile. However Foroyaa
was reliably informed that the said machine was donated  by Mr. Akim Samba,
the proprietor of Breck World Company in 1997 and the machine  was manufactured
since 1982.

LACK OF VEHICLES HAMPERS KMC’S  EFFORT
By Amie Sanneh & Annia Gaye
The Acting Mayor of the Kanifing  Municipal Council (KMC), Francis Gomez, has
said that his council is seriously  faced with lack of vehicles, heavy
machinery and equipment to effectively carry  out their noble responsibility as
required in Ebo Town, although KMC wants to do  a lot of this.
Mr. Gomez made these remarks at the Ebo Town football field  while speaking
at the launching of the UNICEF Gambia Government Country  programme of
cooperation 2007-2011 and the launching of the 19 water point  project in Ebo Town.
Mr. Gomez stated that KMC spends nothing less than ten  million dalasi on
cleansing services and more than half of that amount on water  supply provision
every year. “This clearly indicates the importance attached to  the provision
of these services by KMC,” he said.
Commenting on the  developments made in Ebo Town, Mr. Gomez said in the wake
of the cholera  outbreak in September 2005, KMC renovated a whole community
centre which was  turned into a cholera clinic by the Health Department, WHO and
UNICEF. This, he  noted, contributed to the swift eradication of the cholera
outbreak in the  municipality. “This initiative saved many lives,” he
remarked.
Mr. Gomez  added that UNICEF in Collaboration with WHO, and the Department of
Water  Resources with support from KMC, were able to chlorinate over two
thousand wells  in 2005 and 2006 combined.
He however commended the Government and UNICEF for  extending water
facilities and connecting nineteen taps, thus providing clean  water for over five
thousand people.

KANYIBA KANYI DETAINED FOR 6  MONTHS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The family members of Kanyiba Kanyi, a  supporter of the United Democratic
Party, (UDP), who was arrested in September  2006, have told this reporter that
they still cannot establish the whereabouts  of their loved one.
According to family members, they have moved both heaven  and earth to know
exactly where Mr. Kanyi is detained but to no avail. Family  members expressed
shock over the long detention of their loved one, saying, “We  do not know the
necessary steps to take to facilitate the release of our  relative or to know
his place of detention.”
It could be recalled that  Kanyiba Kanyi, was picked up by plain clothes
officers, who were onboard a taxi  at his home at Bontho, Kombo East, on 18th
September 2006. On Tuesday 17th  October 2006 (nearly four months ago), Justice
Monageng of the High Court  ordered for the unconditional release of Mr. Kanyi,
but the state is yet to  comply with the order. Kanyiba Kanyi is a local staff
of the Christian  Children’s Fund (CCF).

CHILDREN’S CORNER ABUSE ON CHILDREN
By  Amie Sanneh
Keeping children safe from violence and abuse is central to  achieving the
Millennium Development Goals and fulfilling the Millennium  Declaration. Sexual
exploitation of children for commercial ends is a  fundamental violation of
children as stated in the rights of children in the  UNICEF’s Media and Child
Protection document.
Sexual exploitation involves  sexual abuse by an adult, for some type of
remuneration in kind or monetary  benefit to the child, a person or a third party.
The child is treated in such  cases as a sexual object. The sexual
exploitation of children for commercial  gain is a form of coercion and violation
committed against them and amounts to  forced labour and a contemporary form of
slavery.
The media and child  protection document which is a guideline for
journalists, highlights three main  forms of child sexual exploitation for commercial
gain that exists and are  closely linked. They are prostitution, pornography and
sex trafficking, sex  tourism, involving children, and early marriage is part
of it.
The sexual  exploitation of children for commercial end is one of the worst
forms of child  labour as defined in Convention 182 of the International Labour
Organisation  (ILO).
The different types of sexual exploitation can be noted as  thus:
-     Child prostitution is defined as “the use of  children by others for
sexual activities in return for remuneration or any other  form of consideration;
”
-     Child pornography is  defined as any representation by whatever means,
of a child engaged in real  stimulated explicit sexual activities or any
representation of the sexual part  of a child for primary sexual purposes;”
-     Sex  tourism involving children is a phenomenon in certain geographic
areas. It can  be defined as the sexual exploitation of children by persons who
have left their  country to go to another country for primary sexual purposes;
”
Tourism in  itself is not one of the main causes of exploitation and sexual
abuse; but it is  being said that it is without doubt a common practice amongst
those who exploit  children and paedophiles to take advantage of tourism
structures (motels, bars,  nigh clubs etc) to satisfy their desires.
One cannot identify paedophiles and  sexual exploitation of children just by
targeting one sector of society, a  particular cultural phenomenon or an exact
location, because sex tourists  belongs to all social classes.
In the majority of cases, child sex tourism  involves men, married and
singles, who have organised their trips with the aim  of seeking out sexual
relations with children. They can also be travellers who  are taking advantage of
their anonymity and the fact of being far from the  social and moral constraints
of their of their country of origin to abuse  children. Often sex tourists
justify their behaviour by claiming that in some  countries it is culturally
acceptable, or that it is a form of financial  aid.
The tourism industry also contributes to creating a demand by extolling  the
exotic image of destination. Even though, in general, sex tourism is  informal
and organised between friends or colleagues, there have been cases of
prosecutions against travel agents for having organised trips with a sexual aim.
Another form of sexual abuse is the rape of children. It is defined by the 1999
Law as being an act of sexual penetration of what\ever nature committed on
another individual through violence, constraints, threat or purpose. The act of
 penetration, strictly speaking, can be not only an act of sexual union, but
also  sodomy or penetration with an object.
CHILD LABOUR – the worst forms of child  labour cover all forms of slavery or
practices similar to slavery, such as the  sale and trafficking of children,
debt bondage, forced or compulsory labour,  involving forced or compulsory
recruitment of children for use in armed  conflicts.
-     It also covers the use, procuring or  offering of a child for
prostitution, for the production of pornography or for  pornographic performance;
-     The use, procuring or  offering of a child for illicit activities
particular for the production and  trafficking of drugs as defined in the relevant
international  treaties.
The list of activities identified in  Senegal by the ILO as coming under the
worst forms of child labour  are:
-     Begging done by children on behalf of a third  party
-     Forced labour or work done in servitude by  children on behalf of a
third party (prostitution, pornographic outputs or acts,  production and sale of
drugs, illegal activities,  etc).
-     Taxing labour carried out by children (early  or taxing domestic work,
underground works, working at dangerous heights  etc).
-     Dangerous works carried out by children  (dangerous domestic work at a
young age, work exposing children to physical or  sexual abuses, manipulation,
transport and use of toxic chemical and biological  products etc).
-     Public transporting of goods or  people carried and by children;
-     Slaughtering of  animals by children.
-     The role of UNICEF is to  mobilise partners towards the realisation of
children’s rights and to strengthen  the will and capacities of governments to
ensure children’s protection.