GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Suntou Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 05:39:00 -0400
MR TOURAY , you completely misunderstood most of my reply to your topic.
infact ,i am the reverse of most your eloquent reply. i eat and sleep islam .
the quotation i made about religious scholars was  made by Karl Max not me. i
never said religious scholars are less intelligent ,Max said so .

when i said we don't know how to use religion to change our circumstances ,
what i meant was ,the Gambia have not known militancy as a way of social
change ,true or false ?
we can say yes in theory we are muslims and chrsitians ,but those the
majority live that principle ? don't get me wrong . we may close offices early
on friday but what happena after night falls ? lets not be over simplistic about
our brand of islam ,we are influance by western idealogy in most aspect of
socail life ,yes we use islam in socail gathering . may be you didn't observe the
current state of the moral issues of the gambia .
i love and respect all our scholars brother and i am intouch with many of
them . i was part of a sponsohip program for some scholars untill last year , i
do not advocate for secular believes to take over spritual life.
you are right that imams and priest have large followings but so are our socall
oppossitions leaders but those that usually translate into a meaningful force to
counter the current status quo ? yes imams can lead mass protest and call for
socail changes but since when did we allow them to have a voice in real
political circles ? some body have to start ,but the western educated
populace take control of the runing the affairs of the country and in most
cases the religious scholars are use to open ceremonies and add a little value
to the occassion .thats all they do .do we let them take part in proper
debates and allow them to be interactive in political dialoque ? no. even with
there backers ,will the followers go all the way when one of them is
incasirated by the devil in state house ?
again i was not chastising the entire western educated populace when i
said ''we may fail to understand simple religious doctrines ,i mean many will ''
and i standby that claim. since when did the average western educated
person in the Gambia care about religious eduaction in a proper way ? yes we
have islamic and christian councils but how effective are they ?do we care the
jobs we are assign to what spritual implication they entales ? do we try to
avoid taking interest ? now tell me how many financial transaction that take
place in the Gambia avoid interst dealings ? yet we can boarst about our
visible religiosity but the true understanding is lacking in many qotars.
i did not insult our scholars .i love and respect them . may be you never read
any of my thread here in gambia l or bantaba ,but brother with all due respect
i believe in God in totality and i have always try my best to be a total muslim .
if you are ready , let start a movement now base of religous principle and you
listen what comments will start flowing from both muslims and
chriatians ,brother you will be shock at the extend of vilifications. don't
underrate the extend we have change as a society .yes ,we need more
militancy in terms demanding the true justice in both islam and christanity ,our
scholars should break the barrier and speak out and we too should show our
support for them .
in terms of speaking against the current leadership,i am doing my bit and i
expect to stay focus and steadfast .may God deliver us from oppression of all
kind. amen.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい