GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:35:18 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  36/2008,  28 – 30 March 2008

Editorial
Chief Sues Brother  To Chief’s Court
How Will It End?
The Kombo Central District Authority,  headed by the Chief of Kombo Central,
has sued Jereba Kullay Bojang to the Kombo  Central District Tribunal, which
is also headed by the Chief, Dembo Satang  Bojang. The dispute is over land, a
cattle track to be precise. No evidence has  been adduced but the matter is
awaiting judgment.
What is clear is that  according to a principle of natural justice, no one
can judge his/her own case.  In other words the principle does not allow X to
sue Y to court and judge the  case.
Furthermore, according to Section 24 subsection (1) of the  constitution: “
Any court or other adjudicating authority established by law for  the
determination of any criminal trial or matter, or for the determination of  the
existence or extent of any civil right or obligation, shall be independent  and
impartial; and
(a)  if any person is charged with a criminal  offence, then, unless the
charge is withdrawn; or
(b)  where proceedings  are commenced for the determination or the existence
of any civil right or  obligation, the case shall be afforded a fair hearing
within a reasonable  time.”
The issue of whether a Chief can serve both judicial and  administrative
functions has come to the fore again. As for the paramount Chief,  his
administrative functions hardly permit him to sit at  court.

Fatou Jaw Manneh’s Ordeal Clocks One Year
By  Fabakary B. Ceesay
Today, March 28, marks exactly one year when Journalist  Fatou Jaw Manneh,
based in the United States of America, was arrested at the  Banjul International
Airport, upon her arrival from U.S. She was arrested by the  National
Intelligence Agency agents and detained for five (5) days before  appearing in court
on the 3 April, 2007.
On the 3 April, 2007, she appeared  before a Magistrates Court, she refused
to take her plea without a counsel. The  following day, 4 April, she
re-appeared before Magistrate Buba Jawo of the said  court and pleaded not guilty to the
three sedition charges against her. The  first count alleges that Fatou Jaw
Manneh acted with seditious intention,  contrary to section 52 (1) (a) of the
Criminal Code.
Count two states:  Publication of seditions words, contrary to section 52 (1)
(c) of the Criminal  Code. Count three alleges publication of false news with
intent to cause fear  and alarm to the Gambian public, contrary to section 59
(1) of the Criminal  Code.
The particulars of offence indicated that “Fatou Jaw Manneh, … with
seditions intention, granted an interview contained in a publication, dated 23
October, 2005, consisting of the following words, to which included  “Betrayal,”
Jammeh is tearing our beloved counter into shreds, he debunked  our hopes and
became a thorn into issue that is related to progress in The  Gambia, be it
social, political and economic. Worst of all, he is a bundle  of terror. There
is need to speak out against his tendencies. If you look around  The Gambia,
particularly at the condition people live in, you will see what I  mean, that
Gambians are desperately in need of an alternative to this egoistic  frosty
imam of APRC. Jammeh is full of energy but very negative energy and he  totally
lacks direction. What he needs is to come clear to The Gambian people  and say
he has failed us all miserably; that he will be doing everything to
revitalize his promises to The Gambia people, excuse his ten years in office,  rather
than forcing us to like him or forcing us to recognise the developments  that
do not exist.” She plead not guilty to the charges against her.
Her  defence counsel Lamin Jobarteh challenged the jurisdiction of the court
to hear  the case as the alleged offences were said to have been committed
while the  accused was in USA. Jobarteh pointed out that there is nothing in the
charge  sheet to indicate whom the publication had been made to. Jobarteh
argued that  his client should not even take her plea to the charge, but due to
the fact that  her liberty is at stake, he will allow her to take her plea.
Magistrate Jawo  granted bail in the sum of D25, 000, with a Gambian surety. The
trial commenced  on Thursday, 12 April, 2007 before Magistrate Jawo with the
testimony of an NIA  officer (name withheld). Defence counsel Lamin Jobarteh
applied for a “Voir  dire” (trial within trial) to test the voluntarilness of
the statements, but was  overruled by magistrate Buba Jawo.
On Tuesday, 19 June, the state counse,l  E.O Fagbenle, informed the court of
the state’s intention to substitute the  charges. The two substituted chargers
are; publication of false news with intent  to cause fear and alarm in the
public and uttering seditions words. Defence  counsel Jobarteh objected to the
new charges, noting that is was an act of  amendment and not a subsitution of
charges, noting that the prosecution was  adding more to the charges. His
objection was overruled by Magistrate Jawo, who  urged Fatou to take her plea to
the new charges.  She later pleaded not  guilty and was granted bail in the sum
of D100,000, with one Gambia surety.
On Thursday July 3, as the trial was in progress, the trial magistrate Buba
Jawo stunned the court by delivering ruling on the case, that his court lacks
the jurisdiction to try the case. He decided to transfer the case to Banjul
Magistrate Court. His reason was that the investigation to the case was
conducted in Banjul, which is not in his jurisdiction.
The case was later  assigned to Magistrate Imelda Mboto of the Banjul
Magistrates’ Court. It was  called for commencement on 17 July, but the defendant and
her counsel were not  in court and the matter was adjourned to the 2 August,
when the magistrate was  also indisposed. On the third adjourned date, 6
August, 2007, Magistrate Mboto  also declined to hear the case on the basis that
her court  also lacks  jurisdiction to try the accused person. Magistrate Mboto
ruled that, the accused  was arrested at the Airport, which is in the
jurisdiction of Brikama. She then  move the case to Brikama Magistrate court. However,
Fatou never appear at the  Brikama Magistrates’ Court.
However, on 21 November,2007, the state decided  to take the matter to the
High Court, where the case could not proceed due to  the fact that the Judge,
Justice Mabel Maame Yamoa, did not received any  evidence as to the previous
hearing from the Kanifing Court. The matter was  later adjourned to enable the
files from Kanifing to be made available. Again on  the 28 November, Justice
Yamoa ruled that she did not have the grounds of the  state for appeal before
her. She adjourned the case to 7 December 2007.
On  Friday 7 December, the High Court Judge ruled that the case should bounce
back  to the Kanifing Court where the trial started, noting that a good
number of  witnesses had already testified there.
After almost three months without any  progress in the case, Fatou was again
called to appear at the Kanifing  Magistrates Court. On Monday March 10, 2008
the case could not proceed and no  reasons were advanced to her. She was asked
to come back the following day,  Tuesday 11, and was again told to return on
17 March.
Surprisingly,  Magistrate Jawo, on Monday, 17 March, told the parties that he
had no file  before him pertaining to the case. He ruled that he would not
even take any  adjournment date as he could not tell when the file will be
available. The state  counsel echoed the magistrate’s statement that the file has
been reported  missing.
The case was therefore adjourned indefinitely.

Brikama  Cattle Track Dispute
Elders Intervened
By Modou Jonga
The judgment  over the ownership of a cattle track, located at Brikama
Dewons, was not  delivered on Wednesday, March 26, as expected. A civil suit was
filed by the  district authority of Kombo Central District, headed by the chief,
at the Kombo  Central District Tribunal, headed by the same chief. The suit is
against his  brother, one Jereba Kully Bojang, over the legal ownership of
the said cattle  track.
When the suit was called, on March 26, 2008, the defendant was  present.
Subsequently, the president of the Kombo Central District Tribunal,  Chief Bakary
Dembo Santang Bojang, said the elders of Brufut had made an appeal  to him on
the said dispute and which he considered. Chief Bojang thus defered  judgement
to Wednesday, 2 April, 2008.
Reports indicate that the Brufut  elders visited the said cattle track and
are concerned about settling the said  dispute out of court, since the district
chief is a brother to the defendant.  According to the particulars of the
suit, the defendant has refused advice to  quit the said cattle track, since early
2007. The defendant is said to have  settled on the said cattle track.
No evidence was adduced, but the president  of the tribunal (the chief) did
promise to deliver judgment on March  26.

Another Village Head Suspended
By Modou Jonga
The female  village head of Darsilami, in Kombo Central, Aja Jafereh Bojang,
has told this  reporter that she was suspended indefinitely from performing
Alkaloship duties,  in the run up to the last Locl Government elections. This,
she said, was  contained in a letter emanating from the office of the Governor
of the Western  Region.
The suspended Alkalo recalled that, sometime during the run-up to  the said
elections, she was approached by the Assistant Governor of Western  Region,
Sainabou Faal, who demanded her to surrender her Alkaloship documents  including
the stamp. She said that when she enquired why, the Assistant Governor
replied that it was not her concern to enquire; that she did not comply to the
initial demand of the Assistant Governor; that it was then that the Assistant
Governor gave a letter which stated that she was relieved of her duties as
village head.  Aja Bojang said she was not told the reason for her  suspension and
that she has not done anything wrong that might have warranted  her suspension.
Aja Bojang recalled that during the local government  elections campaign,
prior to her suspension, all the village heads of the  Marakissa ward were
requested to gather at Marakissa for a meeting; that she  went to Marakissa for the
meeting and waited for so long, until she was told  that the proposed meeting
was called off and re-scheduled for Kabekel.
The  suspended Alkalo said that she was not duly informed of the reason for
both the  re-scheduling and of having such a meeting by the authorities and did
not attend  it. She revealed that she has inherited the Alkaloship duty of
Darsilami.
She  claimed, in a seemingly furious manner, that the Secretary of State for
Local  Government and Lands, Ismaila Sambou, who is also a resident of
Darsilami, has  played a pivotal role in her suspension.
On his part, the new Alkalo of  Darsilami, Mrs. Omar Demba, said that in the
run-up to the past local government  elections, he was verbally instructed by
both the regional Governo, Abdou FM  Badjie, and the District Chief, Bakary
Satang Bojang, to perform the Alkaloship  duties of Darsilami. Mr. Demba said
the Alkaloship stamp and other materials  were handed over to him by the said
authorities. The new Darsilami village head  reiterated that his appointment was
not written but was made verbal.
The  district chief of Kombo Central, Mr. Bakary Dembo Satang Bojang,
confirmed the  suspension of Mrs. Aja Jafereh Bojang but declined to give reasos for
the  latter’s indefinite suspension. “I cannot tell you any reason, not that
I don’t  know,” chief Bojang said.
Frantic efforts were made by this reporter to get  the view of the regional
Governor, but to no avail. The letter authorizing the  suspension of the
Darsilami Alkalo waswritten by the regional Governor and dated  16 February, 2008.

Women Gardeners Lament Constraints
By Modou  Jonga
Women Gardeners in Darsilami, Kombo Central District, are complaining  that
this year’s season is a total failure and a devastating one. Speaking to
Foroyaa, women gardeners said they are confronted by the sporadic attacks of  pests
and insects in their gardens. They noted that their gardens are intruded  by
salt water, which retards and adversely hinders the growth of their
vegetables. They complained of the lack of fencing structure for their gardens  and the
destruction of their vegetable seedlings by sray animals.
Speaking  further, women Gardeners noted that they also lack a constant and
proper water  supply system in their gardens. They said each of them has, over
the years,  been  digging wells to supply water to their vegetable plots but
that these  local wells often do collapse due to poor foundation and structure.
The woman  complained about the high cost of fertilizer and the lack storage
facilities to  preserve their produce. According to them, the lack of storage
facility had  caused a great loss to their produce, such as tomatoes etc. They
also decried  the unavailability of space for them to sell their produce at
both the Brikama  and Serrekunda Markets.
The women vegetable gardeners said that it is only  hardship and losses that
they reap from their gardening activity, and therefore  called on government
and philanthropist organisations to come their  aid.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
ECOMOG Field Commander Spills the  Beans After Ten Years of Silence;
With Suwaibou Touray

Excerpts
We have been focusing on politics in general and Gambian politics in
particular. In the last editions, we have followed the narration of events as  they
unfolded during the civil war of Liberia.
In the last edition we have  stopped where we said PDOIS opined that the West
African leaders were  adventurers, that they had created more anarchy, more
carnage and more  uncertainty, and that instead of admitting their error, pull
out ECOMOG forces  and take a new initiative, they became conceited and felt
that unless they teach  Charles Taylor a lesson, he would not negotiate.
Let us continue from where  we stopped.
The analysis of the PDOIS, Foroyaa, the Nation, and the BBC, West  Africa
Magazine and so on had left many questions unanswered. General Arnold  Quainoo,
the first force commander of the Economic Community of West African  States
cease-fire Monitoring Group (ECOMOG) who refused to grant interviews for  almost
ten years or even talk about the events eventually had an exclusive  interview
with Ben Asante, in Accra and clarified his side of the story and his  role
as the first commander of ECOMOG.
Let us follow this interview  which is culled from the West African Magazine’
s 20th -26th March 2000 issue  which has gone far into clarifying the many
unanswered questions raised by  analysis, reporters and critics of ECOMOG
intervention in Liberia.
Q.  General, how did this whole idea of ECOMOG come about?
A. I was a member of  the ruling Provisional National Defence Council (PNDC)
in Ghana when the  troubles in Liberia began. The Chairman of the PNDC was
Flt.Lt.Jerry Rawlings  who later became the country’s President. During our
deliberations on the  Liberian question in council, Chairman Rawlings showed us a
film on  Liberia.
It was a horrifying film. Chairman Rawlings had a separate meeting  with me
afterwards. He wanted to know what my impressions were after seeing the  film.
I told him something needed to be done urgently. He agreed.
He decided  to send me on a crucial mission to ECOWAS leaders inviting them
to collective  action. Three days later I was in Nigeria to see President
Babangida. He agreed  with the position Ghana had taken, and had already positioned
troops to move  into Liberia. But, he did not want to be accused of rescuing
President Doe. Doe  had come to him for help earlier
In this light, he said Ghana should take the  lead. Nigeria would follow
After Nigeria I went to Sierra Leone, Gambia and  Guinea. Each country, for
various reasons, wanted to intervene. In Freetown,  President Momoh told me
that he expected the rebels to move into Sierra Leone  from Liberia. For this
reason, he was prepared to support anything we were going  to do to stop the
rebels in Liberia. In Guinea, President Conte told me that he  had heard that the
Mandingo people (of Guinean descent) were being butchered in  Liberia. He had
plans to cross the Liberian border unilaterally, but preferred a  collective
move.
In Banjul, President Jawara told me that if some countries  were ready to
send in troops, then as Chairman of ECOWAS, he would contribute a  token force to
show his support of the peace effort.
I reported back to  Chairman Rawlings in Accra. A few days later, a meeting
was convened in Banjul  to deliberate further and determine what needed to be
done. A decision was  reached by the ECOWAS 5-member committee on mediation to
dispatch troops from  the Gambia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Ghana. Dr.
Abass Bundu, the then  ECOWAS executive secretary, and I, coined the name
ECOMOG.
Q Why the name  ECOMOG?
A. We wanted it easy to pronounce the acronym.
Q It has been said  that before you left Accra for Banjul, Ghana had first
considered going into  Liberia alone to rescue its citizens in ‘operation exodus’
. Is this  correct?
A. This was indeed part of our plan. We had seen pictures of  emaciated,
hungry desperate women and children from Liberia. To do nothing would  have meant
that our sense of responsibility had vanished completely. No  government could
carry its dignity intact knowing that many of its citizens were  in Liberia.
Many well established ‘ countries in the West would always send - in  the
troops to rescue and bring their nationals home.
Q. When did your plan  change into a collective operation?
A. It was after I had concluded my visit  to ECOWAS heads of state. We
decided against going in merely to rescue Ghanaians  and leave the Liberians behind
to rot.
Q. What led the Banjul meeting to send  in the troops?
A. By the time we got to Banjul everybody was already  convinced to send in
the troops. We had further briefings from people who had  first hand knowledge
of the situation on the ground and everybody became  committed. We were
spurred into action by the ECOWAS demand that all groups  should cease fire and
anybody committing atrocities would be barred from any  future political
dispensation. The ECOMOG force, it was decided, should go in  immediately to secure
peace.
Q. Why was Guinea the only francophone country  included in your
consultations and the only one present at the inception of  ECOMOG?
A. That’s not true. Togo, too, was present. The consultations had  been
limited to the member countries of the mediation committee. Sierra Leone  which was
a concerned neighbouring state to Liberia was also present.
Apart  from the Chad operation under the OAU which was never a success, no
group of  African countries has ever put a force together to intervene in
another country.
Q. Were you aware of the risks involved?
A. What was crucial were the  leaders being ready to commit the men and
resources. As far as the planning was  concerned, the military in this region have
long been involved in international  peacekeeping. True, we never did it as a
sub-region. But no nation is ever  adequately prepared for war. When you see a
house that is burning, if you can  find a calabash of water, you throw it
first. Then you can get another bucket  full of water and then you can call the
fire brigade. In every war and in every  operation you move in first and as you
move you re-organized. We did not go into  Liberia in phase one to take over
the whole place. We could not have done  that.
Phase one was to secure the Free Port and phase two was to expand our
operations. Our objectives were to take some key points and hold on to  them.
Q Did you have to fight to gain a foothold at Free Port?
A. We went  by sea on an armada of ships, patrol boats, landing craft and
Frigates. On our  way into the port I noticed that the ship from Black Star
Lines, which was  directly ahead, had slowed down. The captain told me there was
heavy fighting  going on and his men were not prepared to go on.
I took my binoculars and  there was all hell with heavy fighting between the
National Patriotic Front of  Liberia (NPFL) and Prince Johnson’s Independent
National Patriotic Front of  Liberia (INPFL). So I asked the ship to fall back
to let me take the lead with  my patrol boat.
By the time we reached the port, there was a lull in the  fighting. There
were a lot of dead bodies all over.  Prince Johnson came to  embrace me and said:
“General, look at my own brother, he has just been shot  dead by the NPFL.”
Even before we landed. The NPFL fired on the Ambe killing  one soldier. We
arrived at about 7. 30pm. It was dark. We did not know that the  NPFL had just
retreated.
Their men were lying in the gutters waiting for us.  By the time I gave out
the orders to move out and take more ground around the  port, we faced heavy
fire. It took us two hours to push them back and to enable  us to breakthrough.
We met stiff resistance. We had to fight our way through to  secure the
various bridges and the roads in the designated positions of phase  two.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Is She A Fortunate Woman
Part  9
With Amie Sillah

Papa Calls George
Papa George called  George and asked him to return home as a matter of
urgency. “Visit the village  the soonest. It is very urgent. Goodbye my son!”

Joseph In  Dakar
Joseph, George’s younger brother visited him in Dakar to get first hand
information. George embarrassed his brother and refused to lodge him. Joseph  told
him his mind. “I am done with you. You are hypnotized. You’ll live to
regret your action. You cannot exchange a noble, sincere, faithful wife with a
whore.” George left for home.

Three Months On
George came home.  Marie and Mama were also summoned to the village. It was
an urgent family  meeting. Papa did not mince his words. He lambasted at
George. “Why did you  abandon your family?” George became defensive. “I did not
dad. I was engage in  intensive work to salvage my family.” “Which family? Your
intensive so-called  work led you into adultery and the neglect of the family.”
 Maria charged. The  argument got heated. “Nonsense! It was your fault.”
George turned to Papa. “Dad!  Maria here refused to take my calls. She refused to
find out all the allegations  leveled against me. Sometimes she asked Junior
to take my calls. Just look at  that. Her nonchalant attitude is causing all
our family problems.” George  argued. “What about me your dad? I called you to
come urgently to the village  but you dishonoured the urgency and decide to
come three months on. What do you  call that?” George made more excuses. “But
dad! I told you. My Saturday weekend  jobs kept me busy.” Marie stood up and
further exposed George. “Papa! Its not  true. His weekend jobs ended three
months ago. I have investigated it. His  adulterous life with Amanda kept him away
from everyone.”
George decided to  open up to his family. “Papa, Mama! Mandy has born me
twins. And I have married  her by registry before the twins were born. She is now
my legal wife and the  twin boys are my legitimate children. The government
has recognized Mandy as my  legal wife.” “I am not in a debate as to whether
Mandy is legally married or  not, whether it is right or wrong. What I know is
that Marie is traditionally  married to our clan. She is the only traditionally
recognized wife. We don’t  know Amanda and we don’t accept her into our
family, period!” “Well! What about  my twin boys?” George asked. “Adopt them!
They are your children but without  their mother.” “I can’t. I can’t separate
my twins from their mom. That is  callous. Mom, dad you know it.” George
humbled himself. He asked for the  forgiveness of his family and Maria’s forgiveness
”. The milk has already been  spilt. I want to bring Amanda home and she can
be married traditionally to me  and you can then recognize her as my second
wife.” “Two women under the same  roof? No George! You are digging your early
grave. What do you know about  polygamy? I do not ask you to abandon your kids.
They are innocent. But you  cannot marry their mother traditionally as a
second wife. I forbid it. I’ll  never support it.” Marie stood up to be heard. “
Papa! Don’t bother your breath.  I’ll save George the problem.” She turned to
George and reminded him of the  past. “I can’t believe it George! Is this
you? What is my position in this  equation? My feelings, emotions never count.
How do I feel as your wife of 15  years? Our struggles during university days,
our youth service? Remember! You  forced me to marry you when you got me
pregnant. I was not ready for it. I  wanted to take my time. Okay! We shall see on
whose side God is. Now you don’t  care about us anymore. You don’t show any
remorse. You stupid fool! Educated  illiterate!” She rushed to fight George. Her
mom restrained her. “Don’t! Take it  easy. Your in-laws are not siding with
their son. That is a sign of  encouragement.” George took the offensive. “
Look at her! She disrespects me and  you still decided to back her. My plan is
this. I have already rented a duplet  storey building well furnished. It is up
to Maria to occupy any section,  upstairs or downstairs as the first wife.”
Maria was very angry and emotional.  “I reject your offer unequivocally. I am not
gong to share my husband or your  so-called well furnished duplet with any
diabolical woman you call your second  wife. I have saved you that trouble. I am
staying in the Gambia, doing my  business and educating my children.” “You
are digging your early grave, George!  Trust me! I am your father.” The
argument between Marie and George became so  bitter that they almost went into blows.

A Co-Worker
Salma is  Amanda’s co-worker. She came from maternity leave. She asked about
her.

Angie’s Reaction
Angie is the Executive Directress of the  company. Angie was very angry with
Amanda. She ever suspected her for having a  penchant for George. She did not
trust her. When she came to inform about  George’s intention for the weekend
jobs, Angie teased her. When Mandy become  pregnant for George, Angie called
Amanda and told her her mind. “It is not right  for a woman to snatch another
woman’s husband. It is morally wrong. Do unto  others what you would like them
do onto you.” Angie warned Amanda. She narrated  the incident to Salma. “I
told her but she would not listen. Who is she? What  does she think of herself?
George’s wife is not a village girl. She is a  graduate and sophisticated. She
is a good woman. Why should Amanda snatched her  husband? It beats my
imagination.” Angie argued. Salma defended Mandy. “Well! If  she can serve George
better, let her be! Are you jealous?” “Jealous of who? No!  I can never snatch
someone else’s man. I am not a desperado. I’ll wait for my  man. But to be
frank, I don’t trust Amanda. She has done something to George.  But it will not
last. Believe me God is not asleep. Women should have pride in  themselves.
Amanda took advantage of George because she found him a job in our  company.”
Angie explained to Salma.
“Has Amanda got a maternity leave?” Salma  asked. Maternity what? So far as
I am concerned she is unmarried. The company  does not give maternity leave to
unmarried women. The activists oppose us but  that’s how it is. It is the law.
” Salma is an activist. She opposed the law. “It  is wrong. It is
discriminatory. As a woman in management you should get it  changed. It is not a matter
of morality but gender justice.” “We will look into  it but for now, it is
the policy.” Angie became defensive.

CMC  Dibba’s Testimony Continues In Willy Joof’s Trial
By Fabakary B. Ceesay and  Awa B. Bah
The crime management coordinator, police commissioner Burama  Dibba, had
continued his evidence in chief in the trial of William John Joof, at  the Banjul
Magistrates Court on Wednesday, 19 March.
CMC Dibba told the court  that he did not see any receipts regarding the
payment of 160,000 French Francs  to Mr. William Joof by Mr. Gerrard Nuss. CMC
Dibba said that upon his arrival  back home from France on his investigative
mission into the matter, he invited  Mr. Joof to his office in the presence of ASP
Biran Jobe, commanding officer at  the fraud squad. He said he informed Mr.
Joof about the complaints levelled  against him by Gerrard Nuss. CMC Dibba said
that he also showed Mr. William Joof  the two bank accounts which, he (Joof),
is the sole signatory. CMC Dibba said  that Mr. Joof accepted that he opened
the two accounts; that he denied using the  dollar account, even though he
opened it.
“I was confronting him one by one  on the complaints of Mr. Nuss. I
confronted him about the 15,000 Euros and the  160,000 French Francs. He admitted
receiving 15,000 euros from Mr. Nuss but  denied the 160,000 French Francs,” said
CMC Dibba. CMC Dibba said that he later  asked Mr. Joof to put that in his
statement that he received 15,000 Euros from  Mr. Nuss.
Going further, commissioner Dibba asserted that he also engaged Mr.  Joof on
the issue of the alleged purchasing of the 607 Peugeot vehicle. He said  Mr.
Joof told him that it was one Michael Concas who wanted to buy a car for the
embassy, but that he did not know why it was insured in his name. CMC Dibba
added that Mr. Joof also denied knowing anything about the car’s insurance and
the speed ticket issued to it; that he confronted Mr. Joof on the issue of the
 termination of the services of Mr. Gerrard Nuss and Michael Concas; that Mr.
 Joof told him to ask Moses Jallow on that particular issue. CMC noted that
anytime Mr. Joof is confronted on any issue, a statement is always obtained
from  him. He said the cautionary statement was obtained from Mr. Joof by ASP
Biran  Jobe.
Commissioner Dibba told the court that all the documents pertaining to  the
case were in his custody up to the time of filing the case in the court. He
said that the case file was later prepared and sent to the Attorney General’s
Chambers for advice before the accused was brought before the court on the
charges against him.
Mr. William John Joof, the former Gambia Ambassador to  France, is standing
trial on eleven different charges of criminal offence, which  includes abuse of
office, official corruption and stealing.

Home.