GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
suntou touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:53:09 +0000
The Presidential election is gone, never to come back for another five
years. What is Suntou and Joe going to do about that? In my part I had
my say on it in many other platforms, may be Joe missed out on them,
because I did not say much about it here.In the case at hand, this is
nothing about Halifa, Sam or Foroyaa, it is about the employees. And
they too has rights like others we always wrote about.I am sure, you
will not say, I have been unwilling to stake my opinion in the affairs
of the Gambia. In as much has we may disagree on the ways to tackle
our problems, Suntou has never been silent or inactive. If any, the
few of us who stake our opinions here might have been too active.
The Presidential election did not effect the desired outcome and
that's not a surprise, considering the fact that, the troops where
disunited because of obvious reasons. And untangling those reasons
will therefore take much more than discussions here. We have had many
discussions on how to change direction for the future and in difficult
struggles that is what matters. There are certain things that only
those who see the change in a particular way will consult and discuss.
This is what we are doing. Suntou and others you had in mind with your
comments have done a lot, just like you and we will continue to do
much more.

We in the UDP Diaspora had several inter-continental meetings and our
final statements or take on issues have been long dispatched to those
on the ground. Yes, some may want us speaking out important issues
here (Gambia L), but that is the very wrong way to do any systematic
political dialogue. We are still consulting and discussing.
The political activist on the ground made their position clear and
they are sticking to that. Which is, they will not accept the election
result, because of the fraud and many other reasons. And we backed
that. What is clear is that, UDP activist in Diaspora overwhelmingly
backed a strong reaction to the result and many in the Gambia also do,
up to tomorrow. What is relevant now is the decision of many elders
whose evaluation is crucial. And we accept their evaluations on the
main, whilst many other avenues are been considered.

A singular political party action can still unrattle the cages of the
tyrant, it may be at the cost of the lose of some lives, and that is a
fundamental deciding factor.What everybody in Diaspora in all
opposition camps will love to see, is an uncompromising street protest
until the dictator falls, and believe it or not, the opposition
leaders will love to be able to see such an eventuality.

The question is, how far will people be willing to join such a cause?
How daring will the opposition leaders be in doing something out of
character? Will new opposition leaders leave the perturbing moral
question of 'what if many innocent people die, how will I answer to
God for that'? Since the old guards have all done their best, will we
young guns take the fight to the dictator or will we also be miles
away with our tangible opinions?
So Joe, we are not quiet neither avoiding discussing anything, but we
are formulating just like our dictator is, it will be foolish is to
let him in on our strategies, because this platform here is a Bantaba,
an open arena. In good time, we will find a way ahead, after all, this
is our Baby we are talking about, Our Gambia. May God bless it. Thank
you
Suntou

--
www.suntoumana.blogspot.com