GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SANYANG LANDING <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:02:23 +0200
G-Lers,

l would like to commend our President for the bold step to expose the attitude of the West in their relation to the African continent and the double standard exercised the world over in pursue of their interest.

lt is unfortunate that the interview was in conjunction with Human Right issues which distaste it.Human right is fundamental and must be respected by all Nations,but not all Nations respect it,including even Nations that advocate it most.There are ample examples of human rights violation in all Nations of the world.They are so numerous that l have it difficult to even choose,but when one select the President`s own example of racism,one is bound to accept that most of Europe and USA cannot handle the question of racism.Racism in the society and even in their institutions infringe our fundamental rights as human beings.In most cases,it is highly condoned by the states apparatus with the aid of massmedia,as in the recent drug allegation of Gambians in Stockholm,Sweden in which the Police and media collaborated.

Another interesting example under our eyebrow is the course of the Palestinian people.The whole world knows that USA is behind Israel,and supported by almost all so called Western countries.The right of the Palestinians,the kurds etc to their land and self determination,is a Human rights question.

l am not here to defend President Jammeh and glorify Human right abuses,nor am l here to justify the Human right abuses in the Gambia.What l am trying to do is to draw a parallel line to enable us to understand the President`s position,and even buttress it and finally come up with my own suggestion.

On the question of democracy,one can argue to agree or disagree as to the level of democracy that exist in different countries.The perception of democracy varies from country to country,and from culture to culture.
There is no flowering democracy in this world,and no country or culture has a monopoly.So the notion that "Democracy" is western does not hold water,it is just the levels of our political and socio-economic development that makes the difference.As societies become enlightened and developed, the margin for dictators and tyrants become narrow and the democratic sphere broaden.These are the lessons derived from history.

Our economic dependency on the west that makes them to hypocritically interfere and dictate  our leaders as being exposed by our President most be revised.This is why it is important for the leaders of the continent to focus on and develop projects like the Jakally-Pachar in the Gambia,for future self-sufficiency in food production.Bureaucracy and its related wastage must be stamp out and corruption controlled.The States should invest in the productive sectors of their economies to produce the basic needs of their people,and at the same time improve the condition of the people by providing job opportunity.Accessibility to health facilities,good communication and infrastructural development are of paramount importance.The educational system should be revised and link to National development.Wastage of National resources through festivities and luxurious cars must be control.Until the above and the likes are taken care off,we can be less assured that the west would continue to prop their nose into our affairs and dictate us.

We must improve our Human rights record to a higher height and develop our democracy to a level far ahead of those who dictate us today.This is our challenge and it requires our collective effort.If we allow intimidation and terror to take root,without active condemnation and opposition,then we would fall short of the expected and would be dictated.Like wise,if our leaders become power blind,power hungry and got drunken with power to the extend of closing or narrowing the democratic pattern,then we would fall short of the expected and would be dictated and even humiliated.The choice is ours.

Sincere greetings to everyone out there,and don`t give up the fight.

Praises are due to our ancestors!!
Landing Alkalo Sanyang.