GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yunusa Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:13:22 +0000
Hi  there,
The Daily Observer is back online. You can find it on www.qanet.gm.
Below is a copy of a letter to all their valued readers giving the
genuine reasons for their short break. The same letter could be found on
their page at www.qanet.gm

  Dear Reader,

  We would like to apologise to our readership for the brief absence of
the Daily Observer
  on the Internet. We note with great concern the volume of our Internet
readership and
  would like to thank you for your kind understanding.

  The paper in recent times was undergoing some internal structural
changes with the aim
  of strengthening the paper in terms of logistics and content.  This
has been paralleled
  with the partnership of a more reliable Internet Service Provider –
QuantumNET- a
  Gambian company that has its servers resident in the country giving
the assurance of
  more reliability and control.

  Nonetheless, we view with disdain and concern, certain erroneous
statements made on a
  certain website intimating that following the acquisition by Mr.
Amadou Samba, the
  Daily Observer has lost its critical edge.

  We assure you that the editorial board of the Daily Observer has
absolute control over
  the contents of the paper and there has not been a single occasion
when Mr. Samba or
  his proxy, dictated, interfered or attempted to influence what goes
into the newspaper.

  Our readers would attest to our continuing unbiased, objective and
balanced
  presentation of information and reporting of news. In fact, our rising
readership tend to
  indicate that our newspaper is appreciated more now.

  We hope to publish the whole newspaper on-line soon and you can judge
for yourself.
  The Daily Observer remains The Gambia's only daily, most
comprehensive, objective and
  accurate source of news and information. We are determined to keep it
that way