GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:57:04 EDT
How come seemingly intellegent people as we are have lived in essentially
what is a failed state? The nation and it's leaders who have primary
responsibility have failed in every undertaking that had a theoritical
possibility of doing some good. I have not withnessed or seen a record of a
project that had an inception, a run and ultimately culminated into something
worthwhile. Every single one of them had and continue to have the same eerie
fate: certain failure. And even more omnious is the gloating and clamor for
stature that characterises the very people who looted and poorly managed the
projects. You would think failure ought to carry at the very least a certain
stigma if not for anything but it can serve as a great motivator that would
ensure maximum effort on those among us who are inclined to succeed.Our
propensity to fail has naturally seeped into what little qualifies for our
private sector where most of the businessmen cannot be called ardent
entreperneurs with a burning desire to grow. Most don't follow careful
business plans , rather they become preoccupied at showing their mettle by
flounting cars and endless permiscuity. Hobbled by poor business judgements ,
they constantly maneuver to stay alive often by cultivating corrupt bank and
government officials incuring one bad debt after another and steadily
morphing into cronies.
What is it that makes us so tolerant of things that are clearly devastating
us as a nation? My conjecture is, for the most part we tend to see things in
narrow and personal terms.Why for example would fine and otherwise well
intentioned people want to work for a brutal and corrupt regime as
examplified by the current government that at the very least is complicit in
murder, abduction and torture? Does any list member here believe Dr Sedat
Jobe in good conscience is sure that our current foreign policy orientation
is in the long term interest of the Gambia.? Or does anyone believe that
Tombing Saidy is doing his best to apply anything remotely similar to the
"fairness doctrine' in the  way national news is dissiminated? I would
categorically answer no to both. The motivation for both examples i am
convinced is simple  and it revolves around what is in it for them. Afterall
one's resume can  be burdished by plum government appoinments no matter how
brief or at what cost to the governed  and can later be parlayed into
personal benefit.

Unless we as nation make a wholesale change and expunge from our psyche this
unhealthy tolerance for incompetence , selfishness and bad leadership, we
will not take our rightful place in the family of nations. We would continue
to be subject to whims of a second rate dictator who understands our mortal
fear  of danger and can count on more than a few of us to wrap and auction
off what little principle or dignity we have to him as long as he dispenses
our next meal ticket. While the burden of history lies primarily on those who
made themselves leaders, I personally can't just enjoy the fruits of my labor
here in the surburbs of DC and wish the problems of my family and friends
would somehow betaken care of by some miracle. They won't . I pray to God
that Gambia can one day be made a successful country with a leadership and
system that is worthy of it's people. We must all pertake .

Karamba