GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:16:52 +0200
Saiks,
I would like to believe that the Imam is mis-quoted by the observer reporters.

Allah did not send politicians but Prophets!

With regards to family planning, I know there is fear and suspicion that the
idea is coming from the west but according to Shaik Abbass Segujja, family
planning was practised during the time of the prophet in traditional way by
way of "azl" abstaining/withdrawing from intercourse. And it was not opposed
by him.

On the Gambia being an Islamic State:
There is a difference between an Islamic country and Islamic state because
there is no Islamic state in the world. Only three states Saudi Arabia, Iran
and Pakistan claim to be Islamic states but are they a true Islamic state?.
They can call themselves muslim countries because there is a muslim
majority but that's not the same as an Islamic state.

There is no where in the constitution stating that the Gambia is an Islamic
State and therefore I still want to believe that the Imam is mis-quoted.

The Gambia is a secular state and and it is clearly stated in the constitution
that "Every person in The Gambia, whatever his or her race, colour, gender,
language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin,
property, birth or status, shall be entitled to the fundamental human rights
and freedoms of the individual......."

About the Ahmadiyas:
It was during the 1980's when Pakistan under Zia-ul-haq  wanted to be leader
of the Muslim world when he made a decree denouncing the Ahmadiyas as
non-muslims. Before that, they were accepted as a muslim sect for more
than 80 years and all of a sudden they were banned which was just a
political move.

regards,
Momodou Camara