GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:48:34 GMT
Prince,

You're right on the money on this issue. The essence of communication is
understanding. So, when the majority of one's audience are forced to consult
a dictionary often, then one hoists himself/herself to his/her own petard -
so to speak. Some of us who love flowery language, would not mind
sacrificing that weakness in the interest of catering to a more-inclusive
audience. For that reason, I join you in exhorting my friends to be more
sensitive to the fact that most members of the List are not on their level.

However, you may want to be mindful of the fact that some could use your
very constructive criticism as a pretext to take pot shots at others. I hope
you don't play into their hands. What you've said, and OB's addendum have
expressed the majority sentiment, I believe. I'll advice you to leave it at
that. You've made a very valid point. There's no need to expound on it, lest
someone/people begin feeling under siege for using "literary licenses,"
'cause some of the word-alteration fall under that category in my view. My
humble opinion.

Thanks for raising the issue anyway.

Saul.