GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Jabang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:48:08 GMT
>From: MUHAMMED CEESAY <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask] (Momodou Jabang)
>Subject: Re: Salaam
>Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:54:38 +0000

>PS:
>I was trying to sent this little cotribution to L this morning but
>I'm not sure it went thro'.  If it hasn't may be you can forward this
>for me if you agree with the contents.
>
>Assalaamu alaikum Mba,
>
>I am afraid that's a common misconception.  The first daughter of
>our beloved prophet (SAW) is Zainab (RA) who died shortly after her
>Hijra to Madina.  Fatimah (RA) was in fact the last one , the most
>beloved, the consort of our dear 'Ali (RA) and the only child of the
>prophet (SAW) who survived him (for 6 months).  As to reason for the
>mandnka tradition of naming their first borns Fatou and Lamin I
>don't know the answer.
>Have a pleasant week-end
>Ma' salaam
>M Mansour Ceesay

Modou Mbye's addition:

I think these naming tradition has been in honor of the Prophet (SAW) as the
head of the Muslim Ummah and Fatimah as the Queen of the women in Jannah.

The trend is to follow Lamin with Abu bakr, Umar Uthmaan and Ali (although
not consistent). This is to follow the chronology of the rightly-guided
Kaliphs. Allah knows best. Wasalaam