GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:59:05 +0200
Kebba,

I beiieve we all agree that the possession of ID- cards for the sake of national security is a key factor in maintaining law and order, and anybody who is suspected of breaking the law and at the same time failing to produce adequate identification should be reprimanded.

Recent events at the Denton Bridge has been a burning issue lately and it is high time that the authorities do something about the malpractices. The actions of the involved security officers are unjustifiable, since we`re yet to learn of law breakers being subjected to those terrible, inhuman and degrading ordeals, or have we? The incidents we know of involve innocent civilians who are going about their lives, some of whom go to the extent of reciting verses from the quran just so that they are not being harssed, disrespected, humiliated, molested and subjected to the ruthless, callous and hard-hearted "monkey dance". I`m sure the majority of the civilians are in fear approaching the bridge, and you`ll agree with me that it is the fundamental human right of all citizens to be secured, and this seems to be the contrary here.

We`ve witnessed the security of other countries in the subregion degenerate into that of law-less-ness and anarchy, and we pray that the Almighty save us from the actions of the few security officers who are at the verge of robbing us the peace , tranquility and security that The Gambia has always enjoyed. It might be that these officers are disgruntled and want to vent their anger and dissatisfaction and thus innocent civilians become the unlucy victims and scapegoats.

We want to repeat this on and on again that the possession of ID-cards should be encouraged, and this has to be a gradual process. There is a need for continuing mass- education because this whole thing about IDs has not started that long ago in The Gambia. If I`m right the national campaign started in the mid or late eighties. Correct me. And with the high rate of illiteracy in the country it will surely take some time before the average Gambian get this straight and understand what it is all about. So why dont we give them that chance!

Yes, we all owe it to The Gambia to be law- abiding citizens, but at the same time it is the duty of every country to protect her citizens. That protection and security is the best thing we`ve got, and we dont want to give it away.

God bless us !

Regard,
Omar.