GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:18:39 -0000
Saul,

Your last piece is quite interesting. Apparently, the article you wanted
FOROYAA to publish is one discouraging Jammeh from standing whilst promoting
the candidature of Sidia Jatta and Sheiif Dibba and taking over of the
country by PDOIS or NCP. Don't you think that we would have been classified
as opportunists by publishing such an article? In fact, that is what Charles
Taylor accused the MOJA elements in Liberia of. He went into the armed
struggle while some intellectual elements who were opposed to Doe were
sitting back waiting for him to succeed and then come and lead. Once he
succeeded, he decided to retain the booty. Don't you think that we would
have been accused of allowing Jammeh to do the dirty job only to reap the
benefits by taking over power after him? I sincerely believe that such an
article would have given the impression that PDOIS relied on the army to get
rid of Jawara so as to be able to come to power. I am glad that you have
transmitted what you wanted us to publish, and I can tell you that as far as
our editorial board is concerned such a letter would not have qualified to
be published because it would have meant some form of self promotion in a
media that was trying to be non-partisan at the time just to ensure that the
transition process reached its logical conclusion.

Nothwithstanding, what I still cannot understand is the language you
directed against me. I was not a part of Jawara's government. I had been
offered a ministerial post when the AFPRC came to power, but rejected the
offer. When the elections I was again offered a ministerial post for a
second time and I rejected the offer.

What have I gained to warrant anybody accusing me of masterminding anything?
I cannot be blamed for the excesses of Jawara and the PPP nor for the
excesses of Jammeh and the APRC. I simply cannot understand where the
hostile reaction is coming from, especially when you claim that you know me
personally.

I am still reflecting on your last piece. I have to resolve my mind on the
approach I have to take. I intended to be extremely provocative but I am
wondering whether that is necessary after reading your last piece. Somehow I
feel that I have to clear the air once and for all by stepping on toes, of
course, which I dread. I do not think that we should live in the past, but
everywhere I turn to it seems to come back to hit me in the face. May be I
should disregard offending anyone and proceed to face it squarely. I will
decide by tomorrow morning on how I am to approach your contentions.
Whatever I decide to do should not be taken as personal.

Have a good day.

Halifa Sallah.