GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:40:38 EDT
 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:15:34 -0400

 From: Islamic News and Information Net <[log in to unmask]>

 --------------------------------------

 Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 8:18 AM

                          ||           ||  o   ||
                  _o_,_\ ,;:   .'_o_\ ,;:  (_|_;:  _o_,_,_,_;
                 (  ..  /     (_)    /            (        .
                            Bismillah irRahman irRaheem
             In the Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Kind

 Hijri date: Thursday 2 Raby` al-THaany 1420 A.H.

 Assalamu'alaikum,

 Recently we sent a letter (which was orginally sent to us from American
 Muslims for Jerusalem and we modified it slightly for our purposes) to
 Burger King (see below)  protesting their decision to open a restaurant
 three weeks ago in the Ma'ale Adumim settlement in the Occupied
 Palestinian Territories.  We recieved this responce.

 Yahya Abdul Rahman
 -------------------
 Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:39:29 -0400
 From: [log in to unmask]

 Thank you for your recent email regarding a new Burger King restaurant on
 the West Bank and for giving me the opportunity to respond.

 Burger King is sensitive to all nationalities, religions and cultures,
 and it is our policy to be respectful of the needs of each in relation to
 our restaurants.  And while we appreciate the sensitivity in the West Bank
 territory, our policy is to take the Burger King brand to our customers
 and give them the opportunity to enjoy the Burger King experience.

 The Burger King restaurant in Ma'ale Adumin on the West Bank has been
 opened by Burger King franchisee, Rikamor Ltd.  It is not the intention
 of either Burger King or its franchisee to cause offense to the peoples of
 the West Bank, nor to enter into political debate, and indeed, to do so
 would be inappropriate.

 Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.

 Burger King
 ------
 Our comments:

 For Muslims this is an unacceptable responce and we demand that this
 Burger King be closed at once. We are calling on all Muslims worldwide to
 BOYCOTT all Burger King products and voice you intention to do so to the
 follow address:

 Mr. Dennis Malamatinas,
 CEO Burger King Corporation, 17777 Old Cutler
 Road, Miami, FL 33157
 Phone: (305) 378-7011
 Fax: (305) 378-7403
 E-mail: [log in to unmask]

 And here was the letter we sent:

 Mr. Dennis Malamatinas,
 CEO Burger King Corporation, 17777 Old Cutler
 Road, Miami, FL 33157
 Phone: (305) 378-7011
 Fax: (305) 378-7403 E-mail:

 Dear Mr. Malamatinas,

 Muslims worldwide are questioning Burger King's decision to open a
 restaurant in occupied territory.

 The restaurant was opened three weeks ago in the Ma'ale Adumim settlement
 in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.  Located five miles east of
 Jerusalem's Old City the settlement lies within the territory annexed
 into Greater Jerusalem after the city was occupied in 1967.  Ma'ale
 Adumim is part of a series of Israeli projects that ring Arab East
 Jerusalem cutting it off from the rest of the West Bank.

 The territory on which the Ma'ale Adumim settlement is built is occupied
 land. This fact is clearly recognized by the United Nations.  The
 settlement itself is also illegal under international law.  The Fourth
 Geneva Convention, to which Israel and the United States are signatories,
 stipulates in Article 49 paragraph 6, 'The Occupying Power shall not
 deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory
 it occupies.' The whole strategy behind the establishment of these
 settlements is to consolidate control over the territory Israel has
 occupied.

 In a Bloomberg News piece on July 4, the Chief Executive of Rikamor Ltd.,
 the company that operates Burger King in Israel, was quoted as saying,
 "Our policy is we're going to open restaurants wherever we can make
 money."

 The United Nations has condemned Israel for its continued occupation of
 this land.  Now Burger King has ignored international norms and appears
 to have said occupation is fine- if we can make money.  Muslims call upon
 Burger King to, send a very clear message regarding its position on
 business ethics regarding occupied territory.

 Two main areas of concern for Muslim are:

 1) This restaurant sends a message to Muslims, Arabs and Christians -both
 in America and worldwide- that Burger King does not respect human rights
 or international law.

 2) This lack of concern for Palestinian refugees and their rights will
 likely adversely effect Burger King's business both domestically and
 internationally.

 We remind that you have 10,365 restaurants worldwide (as of April 30,
 1999).  Of these 2,419 are located outside the United States.
 The corporation has locations in several Muslim majority nations
 including Malaysia, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE.  USA Today
 recently reported that you are specifically seeking to strengthen the
 organization in international markets. You will not be welcome in our
 lands and we will not give you any business if you continue with this
 unwise decision.

 Please reconsider your decision to open this restaurant. The choice you
 make will send a message to Muslims all over the world who give you a lot
 of business. One fifth of humanity is waiting for your move.

 Yahya Abdul Rahman
 ININ-NET