CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrea Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:14:05 +0200

It is not accurate to say that if you are taking as many units of insulin as your weight in kilograms, that you don't make any of your own.  The average amount of insulin that most people with type 1 diabetes take is BETWEEN 0.5 and 1 unit per kg of weight.  I weigh 62kg, and take a little less than 30 units of insulin.  I have type 1 diabetes and make none of my own insulin.  When I was not on the pump, I took about 50u per day, now I take about 28.  I have not started to make my own insulin again.

The way to check if your body makes any insulin is to have a C-peptide test.  The C-peptide molecule is attached to the insulin molecule before it is released from in pancreas.  Therefore you should have as many C-peptide molecules circulating in your blood as insulin molecules.  If you don't have C-peptide molecules, your pancreas does not produce insulin.

Andrea in Paris

* Visit the Celiac Web Page, http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/index.html *