EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tim Rowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:37:12 -0400
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

Keith,

Those are some interesting exercises!  I've got a kettlebell and am going
to give the 'back and forth' swing a try.  Looks tough.

I'm interested in the logic behind the assumption that the plate pullover
is 'paleo'.  I'm not really disagreeing, I just don't understand.  If I
think about it literally, I can't ever imagine a paleo ancestor lying on
their back on an elevated platform, and moving a heavy weight in that
manner.  But, I also can't match up most of the other movements we do as a
direct analog to a paleo-movement.

Of course, I know we have to look at it from the standpoint of mimicking
paleo movements in a modern environment.

If I think about it more in that light, I think I can see an analog between
that movement and the thrusting movement perhaps used in hunting with a spear.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  I struggle with designing an appropriate paleo
workout, often wondering if all the deadlifts, clean and jerks, etc that I
do aren't just missing the point entirely.

Tim