GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:55:06 -0000
Yus,

Do you or anybody else have additional information about this speech by this
great Orator, Frederick Douglass. The more I read his speech, the more I
admire him. I have read that he was born a slave in Maryland in 1817 and
died in 1895. I have also read that he escaped in 1838 and that his freedom
was actually bought for him by his supporters, who were intrigued by his
autobiographical NARATIVE OF THE LIFE OF FREDERICK DOUGLASS.

I find this man is so much at ease with himself, despite his background,
that it is just unbelievable. I am particularly impressed by his eloquence
and the ease with which he delivers it. One can even say that seems to be
enjoying what he is saying to his audience and does so with much sincerity.

I am particularly interested in the date or year of the speech and if the
speech was actually delivered to an audience during the days of slavery, as
I supect, and who might have been his audience. Once again thanks very much
for the speech.

Have a good day and bye 4Now, KB Jobe.