GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ngorr Ciise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:04:44 +0000

Gassa: <<For your information, I am very much abreast with modern
technological evolusions taking place in the wireless world. My job is to
guide management as well as government as to what strategy is best suited
for our country in terms of technology, cost and benefits. Got it?>>

Yes, we got it... alas, the fact that you are the chosen one to guide the
management of GAMTEL and this medieval regime "as to what strategy is best
suited for our country in terms of technology, cost and benefits," goes to
show - to a greater degree - why everything in the Gambia today is going
down the hill. Today, there are three simple words/phrases to describe the
stuff of Gambian public life: the celebration and promotion of mediocrity;
moral decay; and decline in the measure of all standards of public
performances. The fact that you continue to push GAMTEL to what is possibly
its abyss, is a clear manifestation of this sorry state of affairs.

Even in spheres like your field of 'expertise' - IT, where Gambian
taxpayers' hard won cash was used to bankroll your education - you fail to
show increasing returns on that costly investment. Gassa, going by your
recent exchanges with professionals like Yus et al - who continue to compete
in the most competitive of job markets in the whole world and at the highest
of levels of IT R&D without having to bootlick to get through every
competitive day - when you couldn't tell the difference between 'analogue'
and 'digital', you gave ample evidence that you are nothing but a Potemkin
engineer of some sorts: all huff and puff but no substance to back it all
up. The fact that you can be entrusted with such solemn and intellectually
demanding tasks like planning and advising on a country's IT infrastructure
and strategy, tells me that so long as this is case, we'll always have
situations in Africa, especially in dear old Gambia, where the
praise-singing blind will lead the competent two-eyed. And that has always
been a recipe for backwardness and ultimately disaster.