GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:07:36 EST
Omar, Joe, OB and all our devoted soccer fans, thanks for all the comments.
It is obvious that the over paid foreign coach is not particularly good for
African soccer.  Again, there is no conclusive evidence to prove that they
are better than some of our local ones.  In addition, as Omar pointed out,
they are a big money drain and serve to deplete our financial resources at
the expense of our up and coming soccer stars and even the poor people of
Africa.  The blame for this over-reliance on foreign tacticians partly falls
on our respective football associations.  But, a big part of the blame has to
go to our players.  They have no respect for the local coach. Instead, they
tend to work harder for the foreign coach.  Case in point, the members of the
Nigerian squad undermined their local coach in Ahmadu Shaibu and specifically
asked for a foreign coach.  Similarly, back in the 80s, I noticed the extreme
dedication and loyalty that our players showed to coach Obberman.  Is this
because of an inferiority complex, or do our players think that the foreign
coach is more tactically adept?

In regard to the saga of George Weah, I have the utmost respect for him.  He
is proof that if you work hard enough at what you do, one can scale any
height.  He is also a great ambassador for African soccer and he has helped
many stars play pro soccer in Europe.  Considering that he is one of the
greatest to ever wear the Milan jersey, AC Milan is guilty of treating him
very badly.  In my opinion, he should have retired with Milan and his name
should go down in team folklore as one of the greatest players to play for
the team.  But soccer is a big money business and I respect Weah for going
somewhere else where his skills will be more appreciated.

Yus